West Virginia UniversityB.A., 1969
West Virginia UniversityM.A., 1973
George Mason School of LawJ.D., 1977
- cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers®
- Intellectual Property Litigation, 2013-2015
- American Suzuki Motor Corporation
- Ameritech Publishing, Inc.
- Bloomington Gold Enterprises
- Dollar/Thrifty Rent A Car Systems
- Del Monte Fresh Produce Co.
- Economy Rent A Car, Inc.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines
- Premio Foods, Inc.
Successfully prosecuted federal trademark infringement/unfair competition case against major hotel resort chain resulting in jury award of monetary damages and court-ordered nationwide injunction.
Experience in trademark, trade dress, copyright, false advertising, and unfair competition litigation.
Counsel to Borders, Inc. on the formation of its parent and subsidiary companies upon Kmart Corporation's divestiture of those companies, including worldwide trademark transfers and licensing.
Successfully defended national food manufacturer in jury trial involving infringement/unfair competition claims seeking over $40 million in damages.
Successfully represented small family business against a Fortune 500 company in a decade-long case before multiple federal courts and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Issued thousands of legal opinions regarding public domain copyright status of film works and television programs.
Successfully defended Detroit-based companies in computer software copyright litigation and trade dress litigation.
Represented clients in numerous federal court cases involving copyright, unfair competition, dilution, right of publicity, and trade dress (product configuration) infringement and false advertising cases.
Representation of clients in NAD proceedings and network challenges re: false advertising claims.
Counsel to numerous companies in connection with protection of company names and trademarks.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
- U.S. Copyright Society, Member