Jessica focuses her practice on appeals, class actions, and complex litigation, representing clients in state and federal courts across the country. She has handled matters involving a wide range of subjects, including products liability, employment, intellectual property, constitutional law, tax, business torts, and consumer protection. A former judicial clerk, Jessica enjoys tackling novel questions and is especially skilled in transforming complex legal and technical writing into understandable, persuasive arguments. She also regularly presents and publishes on issues relating to employment law, class actions, and appeals. Before entering private practice, Jessica served as a judicial clerk to Judge Richard Griffin of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and Justice Brian Zahra of the Michigan Supreme Court.
University of MichiganB.A., 2007
University of Toledo College of LawJ.D., 2010
- Law Review, Assistant Executive Editor
- Moot Court
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Full-Tuition Academic Scholarship
- Charles Fornoff Intraschool Moot Court Competition, First Place
- Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star (2014–present)
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators® for Michigan (2018)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming Lawyer (2015)
- Secured summary dismissal for a manufacturer in an employment action seeking more than $30 million in damages and obtained $300,000 in prevailing-party costs; briefed and argued in the Michigan Court of Appeals, preserving both judgments.
- Obtained dismissal on the pleadings of a 120-count class action complaint against an automobile manufacturer, alleging breach-of-warranty and fraud claims stemming from allegedly defective lug nuts.
- Prepared an amicus brief in the Michigan Supreme Court on behalf of a trade organization in a matter involving the constitutionality and proper interpretation of tax exemptions, obtaining a decision consistent with the organization’s position.
- Served as appellate counsel for an automobile manufacturer in the Sixth Circuit, obtaining affirmance of summary judgment in a labor dispute brought by an injured union worker.
- Secured summary judgment for a bus manufacturer in a products liability action alleging claims of manufacturing defect, design defect, and failure to warn.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a major fast food restaurant chain regarding alleged employment discrimination and obtained dismissal of the claimant’s EEOC charge.
- Successfully moved to exclude the testimony of the plaintiffs’ liability and damages experts in a putative class action alleging defective construction in tens of thousands of Florida homes.
- Obtained summary disposition for a national truck rental company in an action alleging claims of owner’s liability and vicarious liability stemming from a vehicular accident.
- Prepared petition for panel rehearing and rehearing en banc in the Eighth Circuit, challenging the trial court’s order for a damages-only retrial following a compromise verdict.
- Obtained early dismissal of a putative TCPA class action against a national beverage company before responsive pleading or discovery.
- Advised digital marketing company in conjunction with internal investigations into vendor relationships and employment-related matters.
- Obtained dismissal, and affirmance on appeal, of a parolee’s civil rights action brought against an addiction treatment company and its agents for failure to state a claim.
- Briefed issues of first impression in an asbestos matter in Hawaii state court and assisted in other trial preparation before the parties settled.
- In multiple cases, offered strategic consulting and briefing support during and in preparation for trial, including on jury instructions, verdict forms, and motions in limine.
- American Board of Trial Advocates, National Trial College Fellow
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference, Delegate
- Defense Research Institute
- State Bar of Michigan
- Birmingham Athletic Club, Member
- Detroit Athletic Club, Member
- University of Toledo College of Law Dean’s Advisory Board, Board Member
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Richard A. Griffin, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2012-2013
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Brian K. Zahra, Michigan Supreme Court, 2011-2012
- Staff Attorney, Michigan Court of Appeals, 2010-2011
- Judicial Intern to the Hon. Robert P. Young, Jr., Michigan Supreme Court, 2008
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Presenter, Verdict Vigilance: Preventing, Spotting, and Preserving Verdict-Related Issues, Annual Meeting for the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (Sept. 2018).
- Co-Author, Verdict Vigilance: Preventing, Spotting, and Preserving Verdict-Related Issues, DRI’s “Certworthy” Newsletter (June 2018).
- Co-Author, The Ethics of Class Actions: Navigating the Complex Landscape, DRI For the Defense (Nov. 2017).
- Co-Author, Tyson Foods Inc. v. Bouaphakeo: An Aberration in the Use of Statistical Sampling in Class Actions, DRI In-House Defense Quarterly (Jan. 2017).
- Moderator, Defending Construction Defect Class Actions, Client’s Nationwide Counsel Meeting (Nov. 2016).
- Moderator, Gone in 60 Seconds: Pull Back the Curtain on Privacy, Annual Meeting for the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (Sept. 2015).
- Presenter, Privacy & Cybersecurity in a Connected World, Association of Corporate Counsel, Michigan Chapter Spring Program (Mar. 2015).
- Presenter, Labor & Employment Law Hot Topics, Annual Meeting for the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (Sept. 2014).
- The State of the “Market Defense” in Pay Discrimination Cases, State Bar of Michigan, Labor & Employment Lawnotes (Summer 2014).
- Presenter, Fraud at the Executive Level: Corporate Internal Investigations, Annual Meeting for the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (May 2014).
- Presenter, The Attorney-Client Privilege in the Corporate Context, Association of Corporate Counsel, Michigan Chapter Spring Program (Apr. 2014).
- Speaking of Workplace Harassment: A First Amendment Push Toward a Status-Blind Statute Regulating “Workplace Bullying,” 65 Maine Law Review 175 (2013).
- Co-Author, Debunking the Market Myth in Pay Discrimination Cases, 12 Georgetown Journal of Gender & the Law 159 (2011).
- Confessions of the Church: Discriminatory Practices by Religious Employers and Justifications for a More Narrow Ministerial Exception, 40 University of Toledo Law Review 1049 (2009).