I practice brand creation and protection law, including trademark counseling, clearance, registration, and enforcement. My pre-legal career in publishing, marketing, and nonprofit development enables me to bring real-world business experience into my practice, which includes U.S. clients doing business abroad, as well as global clients doing business in the United States. I also assist clients with copyright, internet, licensing, First Amendment, and antitrust matters.
My experience in IP enforcement includes trademark, copyright, patent, and antitrust litigation in state and federal courts; appellate litigation in state and federal courts of appeals, including the Federal Circuit; and opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
TRADEMARK/BRAND PROTECTION INDUSTRIES AND CLIENTS
- Media and Publishing
- Automotive and Manufacturing
- Financial Services
University of MichiganB.A., 1974
- Political Science
The American UniversityM.A., 1975
- Broadcast Journalism
University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., 1994
- cum laude
- Contributing Editor, Michigan Law Review
- Best Lawyers in America
- "Ann Arbor Lawyer of the Year - Trademark and Copyright Law" 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021
Represented Italian fashion house in trademark litigation in federal court in Oregon, and in more than fifty opposition and cancellation proceedings in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Represented Ohio packaging company in trademark/counterfeiting action in federal court in E.D. Mich.
Defended national cable TV network in trademark infringement action in federal court in W.D. Michigan.
- International Trademark Association
- American Bar Association (Intellectual Property and Appellate sections)
- State Bar of Michigan (Intellectual Property and Appellate sections)
Teaching and Prior Professional
- Publisher of Brandmarking e-newsletter on creation, protection, and enforcement of brand identity
- Adjunct Professor, Michigan State University College of Law: Trademarks and Unfair Competition, 2005-present
- Book and magazine publisher/editor, freelance writer, 1975-94; author, co-author, or editor of 26 books and numerous articles on topics including public policy, biomedical ethics, management psychology
- How to Win the Olympic Gold Medal in the Super Bowl of Trademark Infringement
What Do You Know from Shinola?