Lauane Addis, a member in Dickinson Wright’s Chicago office, helps his clients grow and prosper. For some, it’s through mergers and acquisitions that provide access to and exposure in new markets. For others, he provides guidance on raising capital to fund internal expansion through public offerings, private placements, and bank, fund, and private equity financing. For all, Lauane provides the practical advice clients need to navigate a wide range of operating issues related to employment, taxation, succession planning, real estate, leasing, finance, and more, structure and reorganize their businesses, partnerships, and limited liability companies, and finance operations.
Having experienced roles as both outside counsel and as general counsel for two startups, as well as in-house counsel and chief financial officer for a small public company, clients can rely on Lauane’s understanding of the risks and obstacles they face. Equally important, his clients - U.S. companies with operations across the country and the globe, and foreign-based companies active in the United States – know they can count on his leadership and guidance to solve problems when unexpected events put their deals and strategies into jeopardy.
Lauane advises private and commercial lenders on secured commercial loans, and has negotiated and documented debt financing on behalf of both borrowers and lenders. In addition to his corporate practice, Lauane guides high net-worth families and individuals through planning and organization designed to maximize wealth and mitigate potential problems, ensuring that their future needs are met. He helps them establish family partnerships and limited liability companies, ensure smooth succession using employee and non-employee stock option plans and shareholder agreements, and develop effective retirement, charitable gifting, and disability plans.
In terms of his experience in the real estate industry, Lauane has represented both purchasers and sellers of commercial properties, including industrial sites, apartments, nightclubs, retail malls, and mixed-use properties. He has negotiated leases for a wide variety of properties, prepared easement and license agreements, drafted operating and joint venture agreements, and negotiated and drafted financing documents for real estate lenders and borrowers.
University of Denver College of LawLL.M., Taxation, 1982
Baylor UniversityJ.D., 1981
Andrews UniversityB.A., History and Business Administration, 1978
- Represented the purchaser of eight steel companies resulting in the creation of a company with $800,000,000 in annual revenue.
- Represented an Indian subsidiary in the sale of a high tech maintenance company.
- M&A Counsel to an Indian company resulting in the acquisition of five businesses.
- Represented the lender in a loan to finance the acquisition of a company in Florida secured by property in three states. Counsel to a wood recycling company in the relocation of its facilities resulting in the purchase of a 180 acre development parcel.
- Represented the purchaser of a food service broker.
- Represented the surviving corporation in a merger between two consumer oriented companies.
- Represented the issuer in a $25,000,000 + hedge fund private placement.
- Represent issuer in a private placement and structure of ownership for a $650,000,000 condo development in Chicago.
- Represented the purchaser of seven AM radio stations having a total value of over $35,000,000.
- Assisted in the refinance of a radio station conglomerate.
- Represented borrower in an $85,000,000 facility (including term loans and credit lines) with three banks and an insurance company, which included a private placement of senior loans and inter-creditor agreements.
- Negotiated and handled a nearly broken acquisition in less than 24 hours, allowing his Indian client to gain a critical foothold in the U.S. market to meet their strategic objectives.
- Assisted a U.S REIT in the creation of a limited partnership with a European pension fund, providing his client with nearly $150 million in new equity capital to be used for expansion of the REIT.
- Represented borrowers and institutional lenders in structuring, restructuring and documenting asset base and CMBS loans.
- Counsel to buyers and sellers in mergers or acquisitions in the high tech, steel, retail, and food industries in transactions valued between $1 million and $120 million.
- Drafting operating agreements and joint venture agreements for start-up businesses.
- Structuring and drafting estate plans for business owners.
- Drafting employment, independent contractor and restrictive covenant agreements.
- Counsel to owner of a hotel in Chicago Illinois leased to a third party operator.
- Drafting 1934 Securities Exchange Act filings for public companies.
- Structuring and documenting private placements.
- Member of Board of Directors for Northwest Suburban Daycare Center, a not for profit daycare