Mr. Allen focuses his practice exclusively on US immigration law and procedure, and global mobility. He joined the Dickinson Wright Immigration Group in 2013, bringing with him an established practice focusing on all aspects of nonimmigrant and immigrant sponsorship for both individual and corporate clients, in a wide variety of industries. He previously founded and managed his own successful immigration firm for more than a decade, and briefly practiced with one of the largest boutique immigration law firms in the world. Mr. Allen advises his clients on the full range of temporary work visa and green card sponsorships, as well as related issues of immigration compliance (I-9, LCA, PERM, etc.), including developing corporate immigration policies. With a penchant for technology, automation, continuous process improvement, and creative problem solving, he has developed a reputation for practical business immigration law advice, communicated in plain English.
University of Detroit MercyB.A., Economics, 1989
Tulane University School of LawJ.D., International Law, 1993
- Best Lawyers in America (2005-present)
- Michigan Super Lawyers
- dBusiness Top Lawyers
- Crain's Detroit Best Lawyers
Ongoing management of the expansion of a leading European steel manufacturer into the U.S. automotive supplier market, including the parallel expansion of several, separate Renewable Energy Divisions in the U.S.
Architected the transition of the entire immigration function of the largest hospital in Southeast Michigan, from an in-house model to management by outside counsel.
Successfully assisted many, small- to medium- sized information technology and engineering firms to establish a presence in the U.S. and expand several-fold during the past two decades.
- Michigan Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Michigan Chapter
- State Bar of Michigan International Law Committee
- Previous Department of Labor Liaison & Chapter Treasurer, Michigan AILA Chapter
• Current Executive Council Member and active leader with the Michigan Council of the Society for Human Resource Management (MISHRM).
• Previous Board Member and current active committee leader with the Detroit Society for Human Resource Management (DSHRM).
• Previous Adjunct Professor of Immigration Law at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan for more than 15 years.
Authored multiple articles in prominent industry publications and has been an invited speaker for many legal, human resources, and technology industry organizations.
- Author, "Critical COVID-19 Guidance for Certain Foreign Workers," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020