As an associate in Dickinson Wright’s litigation practice group, Kory Steen effectively resolves business disputes for his clients. Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Kory was an associate at another large national law firm where he focused his practice on business litigation, particularly in the areas of labor and employment, contracts, IP litigation, and alternative dispute resolution. Prior to private practice, Kory worked as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Avern Cohn (2018-2019). While working for Judge Cohn, Kory also worked part-time as an adjunct professor for the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law's Moot Court program. Prior to serving as a judicial clerk, Kory worked as a judicial intern to the Honorable Marianne O. Battani (2016) and as an intern for Michigan's Attorney Grievance Commission (2017).
Before beginning his legal career, Kory worked in the hospitality industry where he managed staff on a cruise line and opened a restaurant in a Windsor casino. Through these experiences, he developed a keen understanding of effective business practices.
Education & Credentials
University of Detroit Mercy School of LawJ.D., 2018
- UDM Law Review, Inside Articles Editor, 2017-2018
- UDM Moot Court, Senior Member, 2017-2018
- ABA National Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Tournament
- Keenan Appellate Advocacy Tournament
- Finalist and Best Brief Award, 2017
- magna cum laude
- Dean's Honor Society and Scholarship Award, 2015-2017
- Frank Murphy Honor Society Inductee
- Book Awards (for highest grade in course):
- Civil Procedure; Applied Legal Theory & Analysis; Contracts; Professional Responsibility; Evidence; Federal Jurisdiction; Health Law
Griffith UniversityBBus, 2013
- Ralph M. Freeman Law School Award, 2018
- Successfully defended foreign workers from U.S. lawsuit by challenging jurisdiction on grounds of contract unenforceability and forum non conveniens.
- Successfully defended municipality from suit based on jurisdictional challenges and exhaustion requirements.
- Defended automotive manufacturer from various employee discrimination and wrongful termination lawsuits.
- Initiated largest class action business interruption lawsuit in U.S., comprising over 1000 franchisee class members.
- Defeated Motion for Summary Judgment in multimillion dollar trademark and copyright case.
- Federal Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- Author, Vacating an Arbitration Award in Federal Court: The Jurisdictional Issues of the “Look Through” Approach and Arbitrators Violating Securities SRO Regulations, 95 U. DET. MERCY L. REV. 457 (2017).
- Author, AGC Practice Pointers: Charging Interest on Outstanding Attorney’s Fees, 96 MICH. B.J., June 2017, at 79.