Ms. Lowenhar-Fisher is a leading Nevada gaming attorney who counsels many of the world’s premier gaming companies on regulatory issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, reorganizations and financings. She has extensive experience advising clients on issues related to Internet gaming, social gaming, fantasy sports, liquor licensing, nightclubs, restaurants, sweepstakes, contests, and promotions. She regularly represents individuals and businesses before regulatory agencies, including the Nevada State Gaming Control Board, the Nevada Gaming Commission, the Clark County Liquor and Gaming Licensing Board and the Las Vegas City Council.
Ms. Lowenhar-Fisher is a member of the International Association of Gaming Advisors and the International Masters of Gaming Law. In addition, she is active in non-profit organizations, and she sits on the board of directors of Junior Achievement of Southern Nevada and the board of Grant a Gift Autism Foundation.
Since 2003, Kate has donated more than 1,200 hours of pro bono legal services to the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada in connection with her representation of abused and neglected children. In 2009 the Legal Aid Center awarded Kate the Myrna Women’s Children’s Pro Bono Attorney of the Year award. In addition, in 2009 Kate was honored with the Local Heroes Award by Bank of America’s Neighborhood Excellence Initiative. In recognition of her pro bono contributions, ABA Journal Magazine featured Kate in its February 2013 national cover story regarding lawyers who are deeply committed to providing pro bono legal services.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, PLLC, Kate was a shareholder at Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP specializing in gaming law and commercial transactions.
Please check out this video of Kate’s recent television and live event appearances relating to the recent legalization of sports betting.
Stanford UniversityB.A., International Relations, 1999
Emory University School of LawJ.D., 2002
- Emory Order of Advocates
- Moot Court National Team
- Moot Court Review Board
- Irving R. Kaufman Memorial Securities Law Moot Court Competition, Fordham University School of Law, National Quarterfinalist
- National Bar Association Chairman's Award, 2016
- Chambers USA, Gaming & Licensing, 2015-2018
- Super Lawyers, Mountain States, 2013-present, Rising Star, 2012
- AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Leadership Las Vegas Class of 2013
- Nevada Business Magazine, Legal Elite, Top Southern Nevada 150 Attorneys, 2012-2013, 2015-2016; 50 Best Up & Coming Attorneys, 2012
- 100 Hours Club, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada’s Pro Bono Project, 2003-2010
- Myrna Williams Children's Pro Bono Award, 2009
- Bank of America Local Hero Award, 2009
- Moffett Award for Most Outstanding Student of Litigation and Trial Preparation, Emory University
- Dean’s Award for Civil Trial Practice, Emory University
Represented Paragon Gaming as Nevada gaming regulatory counsel in connection with the management, financing, and acquisition of Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe. Paragon Gaming is a major resort and casino management company whose portfolio includes Edgewater Casino in Vancouver, Westgate Las Vegas, and various major projects under development. Paragon Gaming undertook the management of the struggling Hard Rock property in early 2016 and provided significant financing to stabilize the property while negotiating an acquisition along with multiple prospective investors.
Represented MSOP Entertainment, a company backed by Canadian billionaire Guy Laliberté, in connection with the construction and operation of a state-of-the-art golf putting facility on the Las Vegas Strip.
Represented US Fantasy (“USF”), which offers a fantasy sports product that allows players to make fantasy-type sports wagers utilizing the existing pari-mutuel system. USF has been awarded a Nevada gaming license and is the first to offer a daily fantasy sports (“DFS”) product under the watchful eye of Nevada’s gaming regulators. Given the legal grey-area of the DFS industry in the United States, USF is a ground-breaking leader who is being watched carefully by the entire DFS industry and gaming entities who are interested in the DFS market.
Represented Priomha Capital, an Australian- based boutique funds management firm whose investment universe centers on sports and events. The company was created with a view to offer investors an alternative product to shares, bonds, property and other “traditional” investment vehicles and asset classes. Kate represented Priomha in Nevada in connection with the consideration and passage of regulations by the Nevada Gaming Control Board and Commission to authorize “business entity wagering”.
Served as Nevada gaming counsel to Caesars Entertainment in connection with $185 million financing to renovate the 199-room Bill's Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, into a "lifestyle" gaming hotel and casino featuring a 65,000-square-foot rooftop pool and dayclub/nightclub.
Assisted Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas as Nevada gaming counsel in connection with a credit facility, including term loans and revolving loans, with Affinity Gaming, LLC (formerly Herbst Gaming, LLC), as borrower.
Assisted Landry's, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries as Nevada gaming counsel in connection with a new $1,200,000,000 term and revolving loan facility and also assisted as Nevada gaming counsel with the issue and sale of $425,000,000 of Landry's 9.375% Senior Notes due 2020.
Represented Atria Senior Living Group Inc. in a deal to merge its real estate interests with the Ventas Inc. real estate investment trust. Representation included the analysis of and advice concerning state and local licensing requirements for assisted living and senior living facilities Nevada.
Served as Nevada gaming counsel to the Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel and Casino in negotiation of the intellectual property and other rights necessary to develop a Margaritaville-themed gaming area at the Flamingo. This area is approximately 15,000 square feet and includes 22 table games and 220 slot machines.
Represented Global Cash Access, Inc. as Nevada gaming counsel in connection with its acquisition of Western Money Systems, a manufacturer and distributor of redemption kiosk devices to more than 200 casinos nationwide.
Represented Treasure Island, LLC as Nevada gaming counsel in connection with refinancing its acquisition financing for the Treasure Island Hotel and Casino.
Served as Nevada gaming counsel to Ruffin Acquisition, LLC in connection with its $775 million acquisition of Treasure Island, LLC, owner of the Treasure Island Resort on the Las Vegas strip.
Served as Nevada gaming counsel to Hard Rock Holdings, LLC and its subsidiaries in the acquisition of and construction loan financing for the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
- American Bar Association
- Clark County Bar Association
- State Bar of Nevada
- International Association of Gaming Advisors
- International Masters of Gaming Law
- State Bar of California
- Board of Directors, Nevada PEP
- Board of Directors, Grant a Gift Autism Foundation
- Board of Directors, Junior Achievement of Southern Nevada
- Co-Author, “Will You Soon Be Able to (Legally) Bet on Sports Outside of Nevada? What the Supreme Court Decision Really Means,” Nevada Lawyer, August 2018
- Panelist, “What’s Now & Next: Update on Legislation & Regulation,” National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) 32nd National Conference, July 18, 2018
- Panelist, “Supreme Court Sports Betting Case: Issues & Future Directions,” Sports Lawyers Association 44th Annual Conference, May 18, 2018
- Speaker, “Is Sports Betting Coming to Iowa?”, Drake Law School, March 2018
- Panelist, "IMGL Masterclass at ICE 2018", February 2018
- Co-Author, “US Gaming Trends 2017 – Sports Wagering in the Sessions Era,” Chambers and Partners, November 2017
- Co-Author, “Marijuana Money Challenges Nevada Casinos’ Anti-Money Laundering Compliance,” Chambers and Partners, November 2017
- Co-Author, “Gaming Law & Practice,” LexisNexis, November 2017
- Co-Author, “US Gaming Trends 2017 – Sports Wagering in the Sessions Era,” Chambers and Partners’ Global Gaming, Gambling & Licensing Guide, October 2017
- Co-Author, "A Sporting Chance in The US," World Sports Advocate, September 2017
- Co-Author, “Nevada 2017 Legislative Update: Gaming Law,” Communiqué, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association, September 2017
- Presenter, Nevada 2017 Legislative Update: eSports and other Adventures in Gaming Law Webinar, State Bar of Nevada, August 22, 2017
- "The impact of regulatory scrutiny on daily fantasy sports in the US" Online Gambling Lawyer, June 15, 2017
- “Understanding the Fundamentals of Fantasy Sports Framework,” Panelist, The Knowledge Group Webinar, May 23, 2016
- "Daily Fantasy Sports: Games of Chance or Games of Skill," Panelist, "2016 Sports Lawyer Association 42nd Annual Conference," Los Angeles, California, May 12, 2016
- "Indiana University School of Law Spring Symposium" Panelist, "Calling Shots: Predicting the Future of Daily Fantasy Sports and Electronic Gambling", Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis, IN, March 11, 2016
- "20th Annual National Institute on Gaming Law Minefield" Panelist, "The Intersect of Sports Betting and Fantasy Sports", Las Vegas, NV, February 11-12, 2016
- “Sweepstakes, Contests & Promotions: Reducing Your Legal Risk,” Co-presenter, Dickinson Wright Webinar, January 14, 2016
- “Introduction: The New Era of Gaming Law,”Co-author, W. Bruce Lunsford Academy Symposium on The New Era of Gaming Law, Northern Kentucky Law Review, No. 42, Vol. 3.
- "Global Symposium on Racing and Gaming," Panelist,“Serious Realities in Fantasy Sports,” University of Arizona Race Track Industry Programs, December 7-9, 2015
- "Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions," Association of Corporate Counsel Nevada CLE Luncheon, Presenter, August 2015
- State Bar Webinar on Changes in Nevada Gaming Law, 2015
- "Medical Marijuana and Gaming: How Close is Too Close?," Law360, Co-Author, June 2015
- "Regulating Fantasy Sports," Speaker, Northern Kentucky Law Review "New Era in Gaming Law" Symposium, March 20, 2015
- "iGaming Regulation in California," Panelist, 2nd Annual iGaming Legislative Symposium, February 26, 2015
- "Intrastate Internet Gaming vs. Federal Internet Gaming Legislation," Panelist, 19th Annual National Institute on the Gaming Law Minefield, February 12-13, 2015
- "Advertising Sweepstakes and Contests for Social Media for 2014 and Beyond", Speaker, Knowledge Congress Webcast, July 23, 2014
- Featured, "Many Lawyers for Many Laws," VegasInc, July 6, 2014
- "The Crackdown on Internet Sweepstakes Cafes", Keynote Panel Moderator, International Masters of Gaming Law (IMGL) Conference, San Diego, CA, April 23-25, 2014
- "Conducting Online Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions: What You Should Know", Speaker, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), Las Vegas, NV February 26, 2013
- "Gaming Litigation Update", Panel Moderator, American Bar Association, Gaming Law Minefield National Institute, February 15, 2013
- Featured, "Working For Free: Lawyers Incorporating Pro Bono Into Their Lives Talk About Its Rewards, Challenges," ABA Journal, February 1, 2013
- "Structuring Sweepstakes and Contests for Social Media", Panelist, Law Seminars International, TeleBriefing, January 17, 2013
- "Advertising Sweepstakes and Contests in Social Media", Panelist, Knowledge Congress Webcast Series, November 28, 2012
- "A Young Man Named Christopher", Author, COMMUNIQUÉ, May 2012
- "An Internet Gaming Debate: Federal or State Regulated?" Panelist, International Masters of Gaming Law 2012 Spring Conference, April 17, 2012
- "Emerging Issues and Trends in Online Gaming", Speaker, The 2012 Spring Conference of the 14th Circuit Law Students Division of the ABA, Boyd School of Law at UNLV, February 18, 2012
- "Does your Business Plan Conform to Federal Gaming Law?" Casino Enterprise Management Magazine, November Issue, 2011
- "Jurisdiction, Arbitration and the Gaming World", Panelist, William S. Boyd School of Law CLE Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, April 4, 2011
- "Introduction to Gaming", Speaker, Association of Corporate Counsel, Nevada Chapter Luncheon, Las Vegas, NV, June 29, 2010
- Featured, "Lawyers Honored For Their Help For Holocaust Survivors," VegasInc, August 21, 2009