Jorge J. Perez is a former Circuit Court Judge who was appointed to the bench by Governor Jeb Bush. His practice focuses on complex litigation involving commercial, restructuring and insolvency matters, corporate turnaround and distressed properties, particularly receiverships and other fiduciary appointments as well as alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Perez brings a wealth of knowledge to his clients and specializes in receiverships, fiduciary appointments, mediation, arbitration and general commercial litigation matters. Mr. Perez has extensive litigation experience in state, federal and administrative courts on the trial and appellate levels. During his four years as Circuit Court Judge in the 11th Judicial Circuit, Miami Dade County, Florida, Mr. Perez presided over nearly 100 jury and bench trials to verdict or ruling. Since leaving the bench to return to private practice in 2007, he has received numerous court appointments as Receiver, Special Magistrate, Special Master, and Mediator.
His broad experience includes receiverships, special magistrate appointments and other fiduciary appointments, as well as arbitration, mediation, and commercial litigation. In that capacity, Mr. Perez specializes in restructuring of distressed properties, recovery of assets, and entities placed into receiverships due to gross mismanagement, fraudulent activities, and other wrongful schemes. Mr. Perez has extensive experience in recovering of funds, clawback litigation, and marshalling of assets.
Earlier, Mr. Perez served as assistant district counsel at the Department of Homeland Security in Miami where he represented the US government in all forms of federal immigration administrative and judicial proceedings. A recipient of the Miami District Office’s Superior Achievement Award in 2001, Mr. Perez was the lead prosecutor in a successful high profile anti-terrorist case as well as dozens of high profile and complex immigration matters.
University of FloridaJ.D., 1988
- With Honors
University of MiamiB.B.A., 1984
- magna cum laude
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Appointed Receiver over large, multi-unit condominium complex in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Tasked with reviving the condominium community, legally and physically, after years of gross mismanagement by prior discharged management team.
- Appointed Custodian Pendente Lite over wholesaler of wireless prepaid personal identification numbers with annual sales of more than US$140 million, to oversee and resolve disputes between management. Matter was filed under Florida Corporate Dissolution Statute.
- Appointed Receiver over Five Star luxury hotel, resort and spa in Bal Harbour, Florida. Oversaw operations of hotel and shared facilities, tasked with controlling and directing operations of hotel, resort and spa, supervising litigation related to enhancement of receivership estate and investigation of misuse of funds based on court findings.
- Appointed Receiver over Five Star luxury hotel and condominium complex in Sunny Isles, Florida. Rescued hotel from immediate closing by retaining, after an extensive search and vetting process, a new major hotel operator while facilitating transition from prior operator. Negotiated and placed into effect new management agreement for hotel operations. Oversaw investigation and repair of numerous structural defects in building as well as litigation of claims such as initiating foreclosures and commercial litigation matters against unit owners and vendors owing sums to receivership estate.
- Appointed Interim Receiver in matter concerning local insurance company to default judgment against insurer. Investigated the matter and provided the court a report outlining a procedure to review the validity of the judgment creditors’ interests while providing due process to the insurer.
- Appointed Receiver over large rental housing complex in Miami Springs, Florida. Conducted extensive investigation which uncovered the sale of the underlying property, a fact previously unknown to the court. Continue to oversee litigation of matters critical to the receivership estate such as evictions and pre-receivership vendor claims.
- Appointed Receiver over 80,000 square foot Class A office building, brought professional management into the building, and oversaw marketing of the building while successfully uncovering numerous and questionable real estate conveyances connected with the building.
- Appointed Receiver over multimillion dollar family estate in which family members were engaged in contentious litigation threatening the assets of the estate. Successfully marshaled the assets, recovering assets of the estate spread throughout the nation. Managed the estate’s properties while providing a thorough accounting to the court of the use and dissipation of assets. These efforts directly contributed to an amicable resolution of what was a bitter and contentious litigation, thus rescuing the bulk of the estate for the family.
- Appointed Receiver over local landmark business, revived the business from financial collapse, established profitable operating practices and allowed the lender the opportunity to receive regular disbursements from the business.
- Appointed Receiver of a multimillion dollar warehouse development complex. Receivership included the completion of an abandoned warehouse project and supervision of related litigation. Worked with various local, state and county agencies to remove legal obstacles to the completion of the project.
- Appointed Receiver in various matters involving condominium associations.
- Appointed lead counsel to Receiver in a federal prosecution of a “boiler room operation” involving the illegal sale of investment instruments. The action was initiated by the Securities and Exchange Commission in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Appointed as Arbitrator over numerous arbitration matters under the American Arbitration Association and International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR).
- Appointed as Special Master in numerous discovery-related litigation disputes, as well as Umpire in various insurance matters ranging to over US$100 million at issue.
- Lead local counsel in US$40 million foreclosure action representing borrowers including counterclaims for RICO violations, among others.
- Litigated numerous adversary proceedings under bankruptcy code.
- Served as one of the lead counsel in representing Fortune 500 consumer products company in antitrust/patent infringement matter in federal district court in Miami.
- Served as co-lead counsel in representing major accounting firm in federal district court in Miami alleging securities fraud and shareholder derivative actions. Case settled before trial.
- Successfully represented major financial institution in state trial court in multimillion dollar breach of contract and foreclosure matter involving aircraft engines and components. Prevailed on summary judgment, affirmed on appeal.
- Served as co-lead counsel representing major insurance company in environmental insurance coverage lawsuit in a multi-defendant, complex insurance coverage matter in federal district court in Miami with insured/plaintiff seeking multi-million dollar damages against its general liability insurers. Prevailed on summary judgment, affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully represented local financial institution in state court action involving post foreclosure proceeding against a law firm that submitted fraudulent bids on behalf of client to delay sale of client’s property. In a case of first impression under Florida law, law firm was held liable for acts committed on behalf of client.
- One of trial counsels representing major airline in its labor disputes with various unions litigated in state trial court. Representation included preparation, filing and responding to numerous emergency injunction hearings.
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- The Cuban American Bar Association
- The Dade County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of The Southern District of Florida
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) of Florida
- The Florida Fiduciary Forum
- California Receivers Forum
- The Miami Dade Justice Association
- The Federal Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- The Federalist Society, Miami Lawyer’s Chapter
- Member; American Arbitration Association Roster of Neutrals
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Judiciary Council Member
- Participated on Moot Court Appellate Panel for St. Thomas Law School in March of 2005.
- Founding member in 2004 of the nationally recognized “It’s Your Life” Foster Child Transition Program.
- Moderator: Miami Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society Presentation; “Can We Enforce Immigration Laws after 9/11?” held in November of 2003.