Yale UniversityB.A., Philosophy, 1977
- cum laude
University of Southern CaliforniaMaster of Music, Clarinet Performance, 1980
- Sole Recipient, Outstanding Graduate Award
University of ChicagoJ.D., 1993
- Associate Articles Editor,
University of Chicago Legal Forum
- Illinois1993 (Inactive)
- 2020 WTR 1000 – World’s Leading Trademark Attorneys, Michigan - Gold Band
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Chambers USA, Intellectual Property
- Film Society of Lincoln Center
- Google Inc.
- Vivus, Inc.
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Domestic and foreign trademarks, including trademark prosecution, portfolio management, and availability counseling.
Copyright, advertising, unfair competition, consumer protection, and Internet law counseling.
Licensing of trademarks, copyrights and publicity rights.
Counseling on intellectual property aspects of transactions.
Litigation of trademark, copyright, unfair competition and Internet law matters.
Developed an innovative brand ownership and licensing structure for a leading global consumer electronics company.
Directed the worldwide trademark clearance and filing program for a $100 million brand launch.
Negotiated trademark aspects of a $117.5 million purchase from bankruptcy of the assets of an internationally known athletic shoe company.
Supervised the acquisition by a leading toy company of a portfolio of classic computer game trademarks and developed strategies to minimize the vulnerability of the acquired rights.
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Related Rights Committee - Right of Publicity/Persona Subcommittee (2014-2015 term)
- Non-Traditional Marks Committee (2012-2013 term)
- Committee Chair, INTA Emerging Issues Committee (2010-2011 term) (Vice-Chair for 2008-2009 term)
- Subcommittee Chair, INTA Emerging Issues Committee, Fair Use and Other Boundaries Subcommittee, 2006-2007 (Subcommittee Member, 2004-2005)
- Member, INTA Special Committee for the Internet, 1999-2000
- INTA Editorial Board for the Trademark Reporter, 1996-1999
- Table Topic Discussion Facilitator, "Madrid Protocol - a U.S. Perspective," INTA Annual Meeting, May 2006
- Speaker, "Trademark Issues in Advertising," April 2006
- Speaker, "IP Issues in Transactions," March 2006
- Speaker, "Internet Trademark Issues," February 2005
- Table Topic Discussion Facilitator, "Hot Issues in Trademark Law," INTA Annual Meeting, May 2004
- Table Topic Discussion Facilitator, "Conducting a Trademark Audit," INTA Annual Meeting, May 2002