Mr. Hughes focuses his practice on for-profit and not-for-profit corporate law including governance issues, and transactional law including finance and mergers and acquisitions. He has represented clients on the sell-side and buy-side of acquisitions in many industries and is a recognized expert in health system affiliations and mergers. He works closely with Governing Boards and Executive Leadership of health systems to identify goals and develop related affiliation structures and terms. He is a leader in health system finance and worked on more than 100 such finance transactions.
Central Michigan UniversityB.S.B.A., Accounting, 1976
University of Notre DameJ.D., 1982
- summa cum laude
- Beaumont Health
- Allegiance Health
- Fifth Third Bank
- TK Holdings
- North Ottawa Community Hospital
- Bertrandt US, Inc.
Extensive background in healthcare contract and commercial matters, including joint ventures and management arrangements.
Experience in corporate governance, including counseling with Board of Directors and Senior Management.
Counsel for Borrower or for Underwriter on in excess of 100 taxable and tax-exempt Hospital and University Bond Transactions over 25 years, including restructuring debt.
Bank counsel on over 75 credit transactions focused on healthcare, higher education or not-for-profit entities, including distressed hospitals.
Counsel on the following:
- Purchase of 390 bed hospital in suburban Detroit.
- Sale of a 330-bed financially distressed hospital in suburban Detroit, including negotiation of a discount with bondholders.
- Counsel on the merger of a 128-bed Michigan community hospital into a multi-state Catholic health system and creation of community health foundation.
- Lead counsel on combination of three health systems in southeast Michigan creating Michigan's largest health system with over 4,000 beds.
- Lead counsel on acquisition of Jackson-based health system by larger Detroit based system.
- Seller’s counsel on sale of Michigan-based Medicaid HMO to national HMO provider.
- Hospital counsel on comprehensive management arrangement (including spin-off of assets) for significant operating line of business.
- Buyer's counsel on acquisition of school bus seat manufacturer.
- Seller’s counsel on sale of an automotive machine and tool maker with facilities in several states and Canada.
- Seller’s counsel on merger of heavy machine manufacturer into automotive parts manufacturing business.
- Seller’s counsel on sale of a fifteen radio station network located throughout the US, involving 9 separate transactions.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Financial Managers Association
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive license)
- Siena Heights University, Adrian, MI; Member, Board of Trustees
- Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County, Ann Arbor, MI; Member, Board of Directors
- Marnee and John Devine Foundation, Ann Arbor, MI; Former Member, Board of Trustees; Former President
- Holy Cross Children Services, Clinton, MI; Former Member, Board of Directors; Former Treasurer; Former President
- Legatus; Member