A veteran of international in-house patent prosecution, Linda Nattler understands the importance of viewing patent applications within the wider framework of a client’s business, technology, and the market at large. Her experience in the automotive supplier industry gave Linda a conscientious perspective on cost versus value, and the importance of balancing the two.
As a patent prosecutor, Linda perceives every patent grant as the first step of a journey. Post filing, a patent’s career can span 20 years and involve many challenges, taking place against the backdrop of tumultuous and ever-changing technological landscape. Linda considers potential challenges and carves out a meaningful scope that is valid and enforceable and that takes into account current and future developments in technology.
Linda has been admitted to United States Patent and Trademark Office and formerly the European Patent Office, providing her with an international viewpoint from which to draft and evaluate patent applications. Her knowledge of the standards applied by different patent offices allows her to handle matters with a keen eye to domestic challenges. Her unique perspective gives the Dickinson Wright patent team an edge, allowing them to optimize the changes of patent grants on an international scale.
Linda’s German clients are comfortable with her and able to express themselves in their native tongue, as German is her first language.
Thomas Cooley Law SchoolJ.D., 2010
- Managing Associate Editor, Senior Associate Editor, and Associate Editor; Thomas M. Cooley Law Review.
- John D. Voelker Award 2009 for the Senior Associate Editor who has made the most significant contribution to the Thomas M. Cooley Law Review.
- 100% Honor Scholarship, Dean's List, and Honor Roll every term at Thomas M. Cooley Law School.
Universität BayreuthUniversity Diploma, Physics, 1989
- Michigan Rising Star, Michigan Super Lawyers, 2019
- Named, Women in the Law, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2018
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- Vereinigung von Fachleuten des Gewerblichen Rechtsschutzes (VPP)
- Continental Automotive Systems, Inc., Auburn Hills, MI
Manager N.A. Patents & Licenses, October 1998 – November 2010
- ITT Automotive, Inc., Auburn Hills, MI
Patent Engineer, December 1996 – September 1998
- ITT Automotive Europe GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
Patent Engineer, April 1990 – November 1996
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. Dist. Court, E.D. Michigan
- It Pays to be Persistent (WMU Cooley Law School Benchmark Magazine), December 2019
- Patent Agent Privilege Under New PTAB Claim Construction (Law360), October 30, 2018
- Trademark Enforcement Implications of Europe's New General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), June 05, 2018
- European Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court after Brexit, August 11, 2016
- "Understanding Patent Applications and Methods for Best Approaches in Europe and the U.S.," Presenter, Brinks Webinar, March 29, 2017
- "Drafting Patent Applications that Comply with European Disclosure Requirements," Presenter, Wayne State University Law School, November 3, 2016
- "European Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court," Presenter, Illinois Paralegal Association, Chicago, Illinois, August 25, 2016
- "Options of Challenging Competitors' Patents before the USPTO," Hamburg Chamber of Commerce, October 23, 2013