Michigan State University, Honors CollegeB.A., 1982
University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D., 1988
- Best Lawyers in America
- AV Preeminent Rating
- Michigan Super Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation
- "Future Rising Star"
- City of Grand Rapids - Kent Convention Arena Authority
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, NA
- NCR Corporation
Lead counsel for insurance agency in a complex valuation trial described by the Trial Court as "the best-tried case I've seen as a judge in ten years."
Lead trial counsel in defeating over $10 million in claims in multiple lawsuits against bank and retail staff by investors defrauded in a Ponzi scheme.
Obtained judgment on behalf of pipeline company dismissing over $14 million in lost profits claims arising from oil leak near Marshall, Michigan.
Lead trial counsel for major trucking company in defeating state court action to appoint liquidating receiver, and in bankruptcy proceedings – including contested cash collateral hearings – leading to successful reorganization.
Represented City of Benton Harbor in negotiating Act 425, lease, and rezoning agreements, and obtaining government approvals for use of Lake Michigan park as part of Harbor Shores community redevelopment project.
- Federal Bar Association, W. D. Mich. Chapter (President, 2006-7)
- Hillman Trial Advocacy Program – Steering Committee, Faculty
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education – Faculty
- Michigan Attorney Discipline Board – Hearing Panelist
- All Souls Community Church - Endowment Committee
- MSU Club of West Michigan - past board member, and chair of Steve Smith Charity Challenge
- Bench-Bar Conference, Federal Bar Association, W.D. Mich., “Parallel Civil and Criminal Investigations”
- ICLE Probate & Estate Planning annual seminar, “Litigating Testamentary Capacity”
- ICLE Bankruptcy Certificate Series, “Motion Practice and Discovery”
- Author, This Michigan Farm (Schuler Books 2014)