University of MichiganB.S., Interdisciplinary Engineering, 2008
Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law SchoolJ.D., Intellectual Property Law, 2013
- magna cum laude
- Managing Associate Editor - Thomas M. Cooley Law Review
- Certificates of Merit: Constitutional Law, Personal and Professional Responsibility, Business Organizations
- Moot Court Ethics and Professionalism National Team
Arguing and eliciting testimony in Federal Court proceedings; preparing for, taking, and defending fact, and third-party depositions; drafting and filing complaints, answers, preliminary injunctions, briefs, summary judgment and other dispositive and non-dispositive motions, pretrial and trial related pleadings, stipulations, settlement agreements, protective orders, claim charts, Markman claim construction briefs and technology tutorial presentations, inter partes review petitions and patent owner responses, and ex parte reexamination requests in patent, trademark, trade dress, and copyright litigation involving:
- Smart home energy management systems;
- Consumer electronics;
- Automotive components and assemblies;
- Software platforms;
- Industrial door structures;
- Toys and youth entertainment products;
- Camera and optical arrangements;
- Material processing methods;
- Casino randomization techniques;
- Ambient lighting applications; and
- Various other technologies.
Drafting and prosecuting patent applications, Office Action responses, ex parte appeal briefs, freedom to operate opinions, patentability opinions, and infringement opinions, for companies ranging in size from startup to Fortune 500, in the fields of:
- Various heat exchangers, LED lighting systems, and optical components;
- Extrusion processes, hot rolling steel components, and injection molding methods;
- Food processing and related equipment, including machine sanitization methods and plasma sterilization systems;
- Keyless entry systems with integrated accelerometers, vehicle suspensions, performance carburetors, truck frame and bed assemblies, roadway construction equipment, vehicle door arrangements and other automotive assemblies, and consumer gaming controllers; and
- Exercise equipment software networking, social network display platforms, storage and organization products, and business methods.
Negotiating and advising on intellectual property licensing related to:
- Development of royalty schemes;
- Allocating territories, customers, and field of use restrictions;
- Market analysis and intellectual property valuation;
- Consumer survey assessment; and
- Preparation of settlement, non-disclosure, and co-existence agreements.
Performed extensive research on the American Invents Act as well as recent Supreme Court precedent to prepare firm-wide presentations on best practices.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- American Bar Association - Young Lawyers Section
- TO DISCLOSE OR NOT TO DISCLOSE: TRADE SECRETS VS. PATENTS, Law360.com, September 26, 2017.
- 10 YEARS OF KSR: A SHIFT IN PATENT DRAFTING, Law360.com, May 1, 2017.
- DESIGN PATENT DAMAGES AWARD – ROTTEN FOR APPLE, Corporate Counselor, V. 31, No. 10, January 2017.
- MOVING FORWARD AFTER TC HEARTLAND V. KRAFT FOODS, May 31, 2017.
- U.S. SUPREME COURT “CLARIFIES” MULTI-COMPONENT INDIRECT INFRINGEMENT, April 6, 2017.
- Various other blog posts located at iplitigationblog.dickinson-wright.com.