University of MichiganB.A.
- Managing News Editor, The Michigan Daily
Wayne State University Law SchoolJ.D.
- Moot Court, national team oralist
- Associate Editor, Journal of Law in Society
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Rising Star 2013-present
- Second place regional finalist in 2009 American Constitutional National Moot Court Competition
- Winner of Angela D. Nussbaum Award for Professionalism in Advocacy at 2008 Charleston School of Law National Moot Court Competition.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Enbridge Energy, Limited Partnership
- Ford Motor Company
- McDonald's Corporation
- Road Commission of Oakland County
- City of Troy
Lead associate in charge of defending, and ultimately favorably settling, a class action against Fortune 500 fast food company alleging that meat sold at certain franchises was falsely advertised as Halal.
Successfully obtained summary judgment in the Eastern District of Michigan for New York private equity firm in two cases involving disputes about the firm’s right to collect proceeds of debtor’s businesses under Article 9 of the UCC, as well as under the parties’ contractual agreement. Deposed third party bank’s vice president as well as debtors in the course of these very contentious proceedings.
Deposed more than 30 plaintiffs who filed individual personal injury and property damage lawsuits against large energy transportation company in relation to pipeline leak in Kalamazoo River. Each lawsuit was ultimately dismissed.
Successfully obtained summary disposition for large mortgage company in multiple suits filed by homeowners alleging fraud and irregularity in the foreclosure process.
Researched and drafted five appellate briefs filed with the Michigan Court of Appeals in various cases, and prevailed on each one.
Successfully obtained summary disposition for large international bank in multiple cases involving disputes about indemnification clauses in the parties’ contracts.
Member of trial team in jury trial for largest insurance company in Michigan in multi-million dollar litigation involving breach of contract and tortious interference claims against said company; responsible for drafting JNOV brief and bench briefs on evidentiary matters, communicating with over 20 witnesses and managing logistics for their testimony, assisting with witness preparation, and drafting opening and closing statements.
Successfully obtained injunction against high net-worth individual attempting to transfer and hide assets to avoid collection.
Successfully settled case for large mortgage company against mortgage holder refusing to use insurance funds to pay off mortgage.
Successfully obtained partial summary judgment, and subsequently negotiated favorable settlement, in the Eastern District of Michigan Bankruptcy Court, for pro bono client in a non-dischargeability adversary proceeding filed by her mortgage company.
Member of litigation team defending large energy transportation company in various class actions and lawsuits in relation to a 2010 pipeline leak in the Kalamazoo River.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Young Lawyers Section
- State Bar of Michigan (Business Litigation Section)
- Michigan Muslim Bar Association, Board Member
- Federal Judicial Intern to the Hon. Denise Page Hood, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (2007 and 2008)
- Summer Associate, Dickinson Wright (2008)
- Attorney at Hafeez & Youssef PLLC (2009)
- Michigan Civil Procedure: Class Actions, Chapter 5 (ICLE, 2nd Ed. 2012) (co-author)
- The Guide: A Young Lawyers’ Guide to Defense Practice (A Defense Research Institute publication) (2014)(co-author)
- Supreme Court to Hear Case on Standing to Bring Lanham Act False Advertising Claim, Business Suit: a DRI publication (October 2013) (co-author)
- “Well, You can Always Credit Bid ...” Still True for Lenders in 2010? Dickinson Wright Bankruptcy Alert (June 2010) (co-author)
- Supreme Court Dismisses Large Class Action Against Wal-Mart for Lack of Commonality Amongst Plaintiffs, Dickinson Wright Gaming Legal News, (July 20, 2011) (co-author)
- U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Enforces Arbitration Clauses in Contracts, Dickinson Wright Gaming Legal News, (May 12, 2011) (co-author)
- Heart to Heart: Will the ISNA Diversity Forum spark a new wave of understanding, transcending ethnic, economic, and madhahib differences?, Islamic Horizons (March 1, 2011)