Edward P. Perdue is a member in our Litigation Department. He focuses his practice on commercial and business litigation, automotive litigation, healthcare litigation, intellectual property litigation, class action defense, and product liability claims. A former municipal prosecutor, Mr. Perdue has extensive first chair trial experience and acts as lead counsel on matters pending throughout the nation.
Mr. Perdue earned his B.A. degree (cum laude) from Villanova University in 1989 then went on to serve as an artillery officer in the United States Marine Corps from 1989–1997. He is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame Law School and has been with the firm since 1996.
Mr. Perdue is active in both community and professional associations. He is a Director of the Defense Research Institute, a Hispanic and Spanish speaking attorney, and a service disabled veteran. Mr. Perdue is also a founder and acting President of the Grand Rapids Veterans Bar Association.
Villanova UniversityB.A., 1989
- cum laude
- Double Major
University of Notre Dame Law SchoolJ.D., 1996
- Saint Athanatius Debating Society
- Hispanic Law Students Association
- Military Law Students Association
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America - Commercial Litigation
- 2014, DRI State Leadership Award
- 2015, DRI Veteran's Network Meritorious Service Award
- 2017, DRI Service Award
- 2019 Hilligan Public Service Award (on behalf of Grand Rapids Veterans Bar Association)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- FCA US LLC
- Budget Rent-A-Car
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.
- J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Starbucks Corporation
- Benteler Automotive Corporation
- Wells Fargo, N.A.
Represented a national retail client in handling significant portions of a trademark action pending in federal court in New Mexico in a matter adverse to the Navajo Nation.
Obtained $3 million judgment on counterclaim after 2012 trial in commercial case involving extended automotive warranty industry.
Lead Michigan counsel for national retail pharmacy in class action litigation pending in Kent County, Michigan. Dismissal upheld by Michigan Supreme Court in 2014.
Defended numerous railroad accident cases including death, disability and extensive destruction of personal property.
Tried extensive number of civil trials as assistant city/township attorney for cities of Lowell, Rockford, Hudsonville and multiple townships in Southwestern Michigan.
Defended wide and varied array of insurance defense actions in medical, ERISA, automotive and industrial contexts.
Caused dismissal of civil rights class action brought against national auto rental company in Wayne County Circuit Court (Detroit) based upon failure of class counsel to serve proper class notice to her own clients.
Settled claim in federal court against national banking client based on alleged mishandling of depository funds for nuisance value during jury deliberations.
Forced extremely favorable settlement in $67 million automotive sales dispute involving frame assembly system productivity, computer production modeling and nationwide discovery.
Obtained swift return of 100% of funds embezzled from Michigan based publishing company client by bookkeeper.
Successfully defended federal action against automotive paint manufacturer based on allegations of misrepresentation and breach of contract relating to closure of an authorized distributorship.
Compelled judicial closure of million tire storage facility and junk yard for municipal client after bench trial in Berrien County in case tried on nuisance and zoning theories.
State Bar of Michigan Litigation Section, Governing Council
Founder and Acting President, Grand Rapids Veterans Bar Association
Chair of the Center for Law and Public Policy’s Artificial Intelligence Working Group
DRI, Chair Emeritus of Veterans’ Network Committee
Former Defense Research Institute (DRI) Board - Central Region Director
Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Michigan Defense Trial Council Board
Grand Rapids Bar Association (GRBA) Board of Trustees, Former Member
Former Firm Management Representative to GRBA Diversity Initiative
- Mock Trial Coach, Catholic Central High School, Grand Rapids
- United States Field Artillery Association
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- University of Notre Dame Alumni Association of Grand Rapids, Former Board Member
- Former Football, Baseball and Basketball Coach, St. Thomas the Apostle School
- Kent County Veterans' Affairs Committee, Former Member
- Kent County Veterans Trust Fund Committee, Former Member
- Officer, United States Marine Corps, 1989-1997
- Navy Achievement Medal for service as forward observer in Northern Iraq and in Mediterranean Sea
- Awarded New York State Conspicuous Service Cross for service in Operations Desert Shield and Provide Comfort
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan - 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit - 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit - 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court - 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan - 2012
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida - 2013
- "The Marine Corps Leadership Principles – Mustering Your Inner Talent to Lead in Today’s Workplace," MDTC Quarterly, November 2017
- "Leadership Traits of United States Marines – Understanding and Developing Your Own 'Gung Ho' Leadership Style," MDTC Quarterly, August 2017
- "Channeling Your Inner Napoleon – Applying the Principles of War to Your Litigation Campaigns," MDTC Quarterly, April 2014
- Panelist, Responding to Workplace Embezzlement and Asset Misappropriation: A Legal and Forensic Accounting Guide, Michigan Defense Trial Council Seminar, September 2010; Article Published January 2011, MDTC Quarterly
- "Internet-Related Litigation Update: Online Terms and Conditions and Personal Jurisdiction Through Online Contacts," Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Quarterly, July 2010
- Moderator, Use of Financial Experts in Commercial Litigation, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Winter Conference, November 2009
- Enforceability of Agreements to Arbitrate ERISA Claims, Mich. Def. Q., April 2007
- Presentation at the National Business Institute: Document Retention Policies and Considerations - Fundamentals of Effective Development and Implementation (2006)
Michigan Securities Law,in Michigan Business Torts 9 (2d ed. 2003) Winning the Battle of the Forms,MiBiz West: MiBiz Southwest, September 2003