Dan is an international trade and customs lawyer who specializes in Canada-United States matters. In addition to his legal practice, Dan has responsibility for coordinating the firm’s innovative Canada-US Platform where he collaborates with more than 400 Dickinson Wright attorneys who regularly assist businesses that have cross-border issues such as customs and compliance, corporate structuring, M&A, taxation, business immigration, intellectual property protection, and financial incentives. Dan also provides public policy counsel to governmental officials and corporate leaders in areas of regulatory cooperation, border security, economic development, labor mobility, corporate social responsibility, and public-private-partnerships.
A US-licensed lawyer, Dan is one of the few individuals that has served in the US and Canadian governments, private practice, and academia. Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Dan served as an officer in Canada’s foreign ministry where he was responsible for coordinating a network of government departments and Canada-US industry associations toward improving North America’s borders and ports-of-entry. Dan also served as a liaison between government officials in Canada and the US, as well as routinely assisted companies in dealings with Canada-US regulatory agencies.
Dan was the Managing Director of the Canada-United States Law Institute, an organization of cross-border corporate executives, in-house counsel, law firms, public policy experts, scholars and the media housed at Case Western Reserve University and the University of Western Ontario. Dan was a visiting professor of law at Case Western Reserve University School of Law for nearly a decade and managed a lab that served as a legal adviser to the US Department of Homeland Security and the US Coast Guard. Dan was the co-faculty advisor for the Canada-United States Law Journal and the Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law.
Dan’s prior US litigation experience includes labor and employment defense, civil rights, products liability, and criminal matters. Dan’s US government experience also includes serving as a Career Judicial Law Clerk to United States District Judge Peter C. Economus (OHND) where he participated in federal criminal and civil trial litigation, including performing by designation in cases pending before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
The Ohio State UniversityB.A.
Case Western Reserve University School of LawJ.D.
- Case Western Reserve Distinguished Recent Alumni, 2010
- Executive Editor of the Canada-United States Law Journal
- Order of the Barristers
- CALI and Anderson publishing awards for excellence in Civil Procedure
- Frederick K. Cox International Law Center Award
Miami University, John E. Dolibois European Center (Luxembourg)
St. Petersburg State University Summer Law Institute (Russian Federation)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Appointed by Ohio Governor John Kasich to the Executive Order of the Ohio Commodores
- American Chamber of Commerce in Canada –National Board Member and Managing Council, GTA Chapter
- Invest USA Toronto – Secretary and Board Member
- President, Ohio-Canada Business Association
- Columbus Global Connect Steering Committee Member
- Vice-President, Henry T. King, Jr. Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Great Lakes Manufacturing Council
- Canada-US Business Association
- Principal/co-Founder, Canada-US SAGE Group
- The Catholic Foundation Professional Advisors Group
- Presenter, "Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode V - Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, Competition and Regulatory Alignment," Dickinson Wright Webinar, June 2020
- Presenter, "Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode IV - Digital, Intellectual Property and Technology Considerations Under USMCA," Dickinson Wright Webinar, June 2020
- Presenter, "Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode III - Managing Your Products and People Across the USMCA Borders," Dickinson Wright Webinar, May 2020
- Presenter, "Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode II - USMCA Customs Compliance and Automotive Rules of Origin," Dickinson Wright Webinar, May 2020
- Presenter, "Preparing for USMCA Day," Dickinson Wright Webinar, April 2020
- Co-Author, “The United States Issues 90 Day Customs Duties Deferral for Companies Experiencing Significant Financial Hardship Due to COVID-19”, Dickinson Wright News Alert, April 2020
- Co-Author, “COVID-19 Wage Subsidy Bill Received Royal Assent on April 11, 2020”, Dickinson Wright News Alert April, 2020
- Co-Author, "New Additions for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Assists Tech and Start-Up Companies," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- Co-Author, "Canada Provides Expanded Relief To All Businesses Responding To COVID-19 Pandemic," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Co-Author, "Congress Working to Pass the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”)," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020