Education & Credentials
University of California, Santa BarbaraB.A., 1976
- with Highest Honors
- Regents Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa
University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D., 1979
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Antitrust, 2007-2023
- Who's Who in American Law
- Southwest Super Lawyers®
- Business Litigation, 2007-2012, 2014-2021
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers
- Member of Advisory Board
- AZ Business Leaders
- One of Five “Most Influential Leaders," Business and Commercial Litigation
Represented plaintiff Apple Computer Inc. in action against Microsoft, Inc. alleging infringement of copyright in Macintosh graphical user interface (in charge of $5.1 billion damage claim involving numerous legal, accounting and economic issues).
Represented plaintiffs in $40 million securities fraud and breach of contract action against multinational conglomerate arising out of sale of family business (successfully settled).
Defended broker/dealers in securities fraud litigation (suitability, churning, etc.)
Member of team representing approximately 900 plaintiffs in suit seeking over $100 million in damages against Fortune 100 company for environmental contamination spanning decades.
Represented plaintiff cardiology group in $14 million claim against Boswell Hospital relating to breach of fee schedule agreement (full amount claimed was awarded by arbitration board).
Defended equipment maintenance companies in two actions in which manufacturers alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and copyright infringement (damage claims of $15 million and $25 million were settled for pennies on the dollar in one case and for no payment in the other).
Defended inventor of medical device against claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and prior invention invalidating patent (settled for nominal payment).
Represented Winslow Memorial Hospital in proceedings before the Health Care Finance Administration (hospital retained HCFA certification).
Represented several dozen corporate plaintiffs in claims against insurers for workers’ compensation overcharges.
Defended Casa Grande Regional Medical Center against claim by physicians of unlawful restraint of trade in connection with termination of exclusive radiology contract.
- State Bar of Arizona
- American Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Regional Instructor, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Volunteer Bar Counsel, State Bar of Arizona
- Teaches an annual negotiation seminar at the W.P. Carey School of Business and lectures regularly to law students on a variety of topics at the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University.
- Past Board President and Senior Advisor, Workshops for Youth and Families
- Mentor, Hispanic National Bar Association Mentoring Program, Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University
Alternative Dispute Resolution/Mediation
- Presenter, "Preparation and Negotiation Strategies for Mediation," Lorman Webinar, February 24, 2017.
- Selected by Arizona State Bar Association to teach professionalism course to new attorneys.
- October 2010: Taught negotiation seminar to worldwide senior in-house counsel of Fluor Corp.
- May 2016: Taught negotiation seminar to senior executives and in-house counsel of NBC Universal.
- December 2017: Taught 10 Rules of Real Estate Negotiation to Real Estate Section of Arizona State Bar.
- Presented “Cross-Cultural Aspects of International Negotiation” on Lawline.com.
- Presented “The Enlightened Lawyer" on Lawline.com.
- Published “Cultural Diversity in International Negotiation and Mediation" in The Resolver, published by the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the Federal Bar Association.