C. Timothy “Tim” Gary is the Chief Executive Officer of Crux Strategies, as well as a member of the Firm’s Health Care and Government Relations practices. He has years of leadership in the practice of health care and regulatory law, as well as private health care and insurance industries.
Mr. Gary has served as Vice President and General Counsel of one of the largest managed Medicaid entities in the United States, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of a national health and wellness company providing population health management services to mid to large-size employers and health insurance companies throughout the United States, and the Chair of the Health Care Practice of a large regional law firm.
Belmont UniversityB.S., 1988
Cumberland School of Law at Samford UniversityJ.D., 1992
Vanderbilt UniversityM.B.A., 2006
- Named to Nashville Medical News’ 2020 InCharge Healthcare List
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care" - American Lawyer Media, Martindale-Hubbell™, 2013, 2014 and 2015
National Electronic Medical Records / Electronic Health Records Company: restructured product delivery and product offerings; restructured the product IT platform; implemented and completed a $6MM software development project utilizing a United States and international software development team; renegotiated all major vendor agreements including, IBM, HLI, Ingenix, eClinical Works, MicroSoft, and Emdeon; renegotiated multiple customer agreements with several state Medicaid Agencies; and positioned the company for sale to new national owner.
Rural Hospital Company: lead the Legal and Consulting team in the acquisition and refinancing of a rural hospital where the previous owner is currently incarcerated for Medicare Fraud; obtained new License to operate the facility; obtained new CMS NPI number and Medicare provider agreement in 8 weeks; renegotiated all payor and vendor agreements; restructured the finance and acquisition systems; and currently overseeing the acquisition and installation of a new billing and EMR system.
Lead Counsel for a national Managed Care Organization on the distribution of supplemental Medicaid funding involving approximately 100 hospitals and $450,000,000 in payments.
Lead counsel on multiple health care provider defense actions involving allegations of violations of the False Claims Act and Stark Act violations with the United States Department of Justice, State Attorneys General and large health insurance companies.
Lead legal counsel and business consultant on the restructuring and sale of a national electronic medical records company.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Health Care Section
- Nashville Bar Association
- Nashville Health Care Council
- Nashville Council of Health Care Attorneys
- Leadership Health Care
- Health Information Management Systems Society
- American Health Lawyers
- BlueCross BlueShield Alumni Group
- Nashville Health Care Council, Board of Directors
- Author, “What To Do When Your Hospital’s System Crashes," Healthcare Michigan, July 2018
- Co-Author, Chapter 610 “Billing for Items or Services Not Rendered,” Bloomberg Law’s Health Care Program Compliance Guide, June 2018 (Reproduced with permission from Published June 11, 2018. Copyright 2018 by The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (800-372-1033) <http://www.bna.com>)
- Co-Author, Chapter 1805, “Hospital Incentives to Physicians,” Bloomberg Law’s Health Care Program Compliance Guide, June 2018 (Reproduced with permission from Published June 11, 2018. Copyright 2018 by The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (800-372-1033) <http://www.bna.com>)
- Co-Author, Chapter 1415, “Personal Services and Management Agreements,” Bloomberg Law’s Health Care Program Compliance Guide, May 2018 (Reproduced with permission from Published May 14, 2018. Copyright 2018 by The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (800-372-1033) <http://www.bna.com>)