Alison regularly advises clients on intellectual property matters and technology transactions.
Her trademark practice focuses on advising clients regarding worldwide trademark protection and enforcement strategies; selection and clearance of trademarks; management of global portfolios; registration of marks both domestically and in foreign jurisdictions; negotiation of licensing, co-existence, settlement and purchase agreements; and performing due diligence for the acquisition of trademark portfolios. She regularly represents clients before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, in domain name disputes, and in federal court litigation. She has also led numerous international and multinational trademark disputes executed before foreign administrative and judicial bodies.
Alison also counsels clients in the areas of copyright, rights of publicity, domain name and internet-related issues. She has extensive experience in the drafting and negotiating of software and technology licensing and development agreements, joint business venture agreements, consulting agreements, manufacturing and production agreements, and Internet related agreements.
She is a graduate of The University of Texas and earned her J.D. with honors from Tulane Law School. She also studied at the St. Louis University in Madrid, Spain and is fluent in Spanish.
Outside of the office, Alison enjoys spending time with her husband and two children, playing tennis, and running. She is active in various charitable organizations around Austin.
World Trademark Review 1000 says: "Alison Frey fulfills a broad counseling role for rights holders and sees them safely through disputes at administrative and judicial levels. For those seeking to launch new products and expand globally, there's tremendous value in her advice."
The University of Texas at AustinB.A., Departmental Honors, 1993
Tulane Law SchoolJ.D., 1996
- cum laude
- New York
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Trademark Law, 2021
- WTR 1000
- "World’s Leading Trademark Attorneys," Texas, Bronze Band, 2018-2021
- International Trademark Association
- Emerging Issues Committee, Member (2021)
- U.S. Nontraditional Marks Subcommittee (2014-15)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- World IP Day, Austin lead (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Texas State Bar Association
- Women’s Symphony League of Austin
- Panelist, Managing Your Global IP Portfolio, American Intellectual Property Law Association Annual Meeting, October 2019
- Author, “Helping You Talk the Talk on Trademarks and Copyrights,” Texas Conference for Women Newsletter, May 2019
- Moderator, Legal Issues in Advancing Technology Panel Discussion, Austin Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, February 20, 2018, Austin, TX