Northwestern University School of LawJ.D., 2002
- cum laude
The George Washington UniversityB.A., Geology, 1996
- National Merit Finalist and Presidential Academic Scholarship Recipient
- Named to the 2014-2019 edition of Chambers USA in the area of Environmental (including water rights).
Energy and Utilities | Representative engagements include:
- Representing municipalities in public utility commission proceedings against private water and wastewater utility that has been providing unsafe and unreasonable services.
- Representing international technology company to revise regulated electric utilities’ tariff to authorize exclusive use of renewable energy for data centers.
- Representing the first merchant transmission line project to seek and obtain state siting authority for a 200-mile transmission line project.
- Siting the first utility-scale solar power plant in Arizona on behalf of an international developer and operator of utility-scale solar facilities.
Environmental Policymaking, Permitting and Compliance | Recent engagements include:
- Representing mining trade associate in state and local regulatory rulemakings regarding air quality, water quality, and reclamation.
- Participating in regional haze rulemaking, subsequent judicial appeal before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and ongoing rulemaking efforts on behalf of cement manufacturing facility.
- Representing several manufacturing facilities navigate voluntary cleanup program and state CERCLA-equivalent investigation and cost allocation proceedings.
Land Acquisition and Litigation | Recent engagements include:
- Assisting clients to obtain federal rights-of-way and state land authorizations for mining projects and linear infrastructure.
- In proceedings before the Interior Board of Land Appeals, successfully challenging BLM denial of right-of-way for extra-high voltage transmission line.
- Litigating mining claim disputes regarding unpatented mining claims on federal lands.
- Representing mineral estate holder in multiparty litigation to determine respective rights of mineral and surface estate holders.
- Representing property owners in actions brought by utilities with condemnation authority seeking to obtain rights-of-way across private property.
Due Diligence | Representative projects include:
- Coordinating review of land positions, mineral title, corporate structure, water availability, and permitting status and compliance for various mining projects.
- Managing cross-disciplinary due diligence for renewable and fossil fuel power plant acquisitions including evaluation of water rights, real estate, environmental, tax, and state public utility requirements.
- Counsel to aggregate mining trade association board
- Top 50 Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona, Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education (2012)
- Arizona District Court, 2007
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2005
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2013
- Regulatory Developments Affecting the Rock Products Industry, presentation for trade association members concerning federal, state, and local legislative and regulatory developments.
- Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Regulatory Developments, presentation at State Bar convention addressing air quality and greenhouse gas legal developments.
- Arizona State Law Journal, “Secured Creditors: Exempt From Liability?” (Summer 2014)
- Arizona State Law Journal, “Sustainable Energy in Arizona” (Fall 2011)