- Ujczo, Daniel D.
- Media Mentions
Dan Ujczo (Of Counsel and Cross Border (Canada - U.S.) Practice Group Chair, Columbus) discussed recent developments in the ratification process of the United States-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) trade deal with the Toronto Star and the National Post. Congressional Democrats and labour unions have bickered with Mexico over labour rights and the agreement’s treatment of steel and aluminum, but a breakthrough has followed Mexico’s acceptance of several U.S. demands related to North American steel. Negotiations are ongoing, however, related to aluminum.
“At this stage of the game, all eyes are on where organized labour is on Mexico’s newest proposals,” Dan told the National Post. “If they agree, it’s likely House (of Representatives) Democrats will sign off on this.”
And they appear to have done so. On the morning of December 10, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s announced that her Democratic caucus had reached an agreement with President Donald Trump on the ratification of the USMCA. Her revelation, which came merely an hour after her formal unveiling of articles of impeachment against the president, is seen as a signal that the deal will likely be resolved by the Senate early next year. Those who may call this a win for the president should take a closer look, however, according to Dan.
“This will not be Trump’s deal. If she gets what she wants out of this, you know, out of these negotiations, it’s a Democrat deal,” he told the Toronto Star.
- July 9, 2020 Webinars Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode VI - Environmental Considerations and the Path Forward to a “Living” USMCA
- July 8, 2020 Webinars Vietnam and the Great Supply Chain Realignment
- July 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response: Update July 6, 2020*
- June 25, 2020 Webinars Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode V - Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, Competition and Regulatory Alignment
- June 11, 2020 Webinars Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode IV - Digital, Intellectual Property and Technology Considerations Under USMCA
- May 28, 2020 Webinars Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode III - Managing Your Products and People Across the USMCA Borders
- May 27, 2020 Industry Alerts Cross-Border Travel Between the U.S. and Mexico/Canada – Non-Essential Travel Restrictions Extended to June 22, 2020
- May 14, 2020 Webinars Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode II - USMCA Customs Compliance and Automotive Rules of Origin
- May 05, 2020 Industry Alerts President Trump Renews Threat of Tariffs Against China in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | 特朗普总统重申对中国加征关税的威胁应对新冠疫情的大流行