- Ujczo, Daniel D.
- Media Mentions
Dan Ujczo (Of Counsel and Cross Border (Canada - U.S.) Practice Group Chair, Columbus) discussed recent developments in the ratification process of the United States-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) trade deal with the Toronto Star and the National Post. Congressional Democrats and labour unions have bickered with Mexico over labour rights and the agreement’s treatment of steel and aluminum, but a breakthrough has followed Mexico’s acceptance of several U.S. demands related to North American steel. Negotiations are ongoing, however, related to aluminum.
“At this stage of the game, all eyes are on where organized labour is on Mexico’s newest proposals,” Dan told the National Post. “If they agree, it’s likely House (of Representatives) Democrats will sign off on this.”
And they appear to have done so. On the morning of December 10, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s announced that her Democratic caucus had reached an agreement with President Donald Trump on the ratification of the USMCA. Her revelation, which came merely an hour after her formal unveiling of articles of impeachment against the president, is seen as a signal that the deal will likely be resolved by the Senate early next year. Those who may call this a win for the president should take a closer look, however, according to Dan.
“This will not be Trump’s deal. If she gets what she wants out of this, you know, out of these negotiations, it’s a Democrat deal,” he told the Toronto Star.
- February 4, 2020 Seminars Canada-United States Business Association 8th Annual Cross-Border Economic Forecast
- December 2019 Industry Alerts The “Newest” “New NAFTA”: Initial Considerations as the USMCA Comes Into Force
- November 2019 Industry Alerts WTO Rules Against India on International Trade Norms Granting a Temporary Win for the United States
- October 22, 2019 Seminars International Insight: Succeeding in Canada Seminar | Bloomfield Hills
- October 17, 2019 Seminars The Future of Energy: The North American Competitive Advantage
- October 2019 Industry Alerts Summary of Automotive Provisions of USMCA*
- October 2019 Industry Alerts Will USMCA Be the Trick or Treat in October 2019
- September 2019 Industry Alerts Can You Take Discovery in the U.S. for Foreign Arbitrations? Maybe, Says the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- September 19-20, 2019 Conferences NASCO Continental Reunion: Preserving the Past & Inspiring the Future