- Lowenhar-Fisher, Kate C.
- Media Mentions
Kate C. Lowenhar-Fisher (Member and Gaming & Hospitality Practice Group Chair, Las Vegas) spoke with Boston Business Journal for an article titled “IRS Memo Could Be ‘Earth-Shattering’ for Sports Fantasy Sites, Says Vegas Attorney.” Though entry fees paid upfront by daily fantasy sports users have not traditionally been considered bets, the IRS memo, which is not legally binding, says they should. Currently, legal wagers are subject to a 0.25% excise tax on the amount of the handle, but illegal wagers are subject to a much larger 2% excise tax on handle. In states like Texas and Florida which consider daily fantasy sports to be illegal gambling, that “…2% tax on handle could equate to a 20% tax on revenue,” Kate said. “That's how staggering it is. At least in certain jurisdictions, what they have been doing is unauthorized wagering, and hence that 2% rate would likely apply." To read more, click here (subscription required).
- January 22, 2021 Media Mentions Jeffrey Silver, Gregory Gemignani, and Patrick Sullivan Quoted on Biden Administration Predictions
- December 21, 2020 Media Mentions Kate Lowenhar-Fisher Discusses Future of Wire Act Case with Gambling Compliance
- December 17, 2020 Industry Alerts UPDATED: Gaming & Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 15: Gaming in the Biden Administration - What to Expect Next
- December 01, 2020 Media Mentions Jeffrey Silver Featured in Gaming America Magazine on Pandemic Silver Linings for Las Vegas
- October 27, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming & Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 14: Internal Revenue Service Makes Determination Regarding Tax Liability for Daily Fantasy Sports Operators and Potential Write-Offs for Players
- September 15, 2020 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Lawyers Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Chambers Canada
- August 05, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming and Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 13: Canadian Gaming Association’s Standards for Cashless Wagering
- July 07, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming and Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 12: Nevada Gaming Commission Regulatory Adoption Presents New Opportunities for Wager Funding
- May 12, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming & Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 11: Esports in the Time of Physical Distancing