- Lowenhar-Fisher, Kate C.
- Media Mentions
Kate C. Lowenhar-Fisher (Member and Gaming & Hospitality Practice Group Chair, Las Vegas) spoke with Boston Business Journal for an article titled “IRS Memo Could Be ‘Earth-Shattering’ for Sports Fantasy Sites, Says Vegas Attorney.” Though entry fees paid upfront by daily fantasy sports users have not traditionally been considered bets, the IRS memo, which is not legally binding, says they should. Currently, legal wagers are subject to a 0.25% excise tax on the amount of the handle, but illegal wagers are subject to a much larger 2% excise tax on handle. In states like Texas and Florida which consider daily fantasy sports to be illegal gambling, that “…2% tax on handle could equate to a 20% tax on revenue,” Kate said. “That's how staggering it is. At least in certain jurisdictions, what they have been doing is unauthorized wagering, and hence that 2% rate would likely apply." To read more, click here (subscription required).
- October 27, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming & Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 14: Internal Revenue Service Makes Determination Regarding Tax Liability for Daily Fantasy Sports Operators and Potential Write-Offs for Players
- September 15, 2020 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Lawyers Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Chambers Canada
- August 05, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming and Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 13: Canadian Gaming Association’s Standards for Cashless Wagering
- July 07, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming and Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 12: Nevada Gaming Commission Regulatory Adoption Presents New Opportunities for Wager Funding
- May 12, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming & Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 11: Esports in the Time of Physical Distancing
- April 29, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming & Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 10: Canada Lifts Restrictions Against Gaming Companies’ Ability to Utilize Co-Lending Program
- April 23, 2020 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in 2020 Chambers USA Guide; 43 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields
- April 21, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming & Hospitality Legal News Volume 12, Number 9: As Federal Aid for the Gaming Industry Lags in the US, Gaming Properties Prepare for Eventual Re-Opening
- March 27, 2020 Industry Alerts All Quiet on the Las Vegas Strip: Compliance Considerations for the COVID-19 Shutdown in Nevada