- Media Mentions
Dan Ujczo (Of Counsel and Cross Border (Canada - U.S.) Practice Group Chair, Columbus) discussed recent developments in the ratification process of the United States-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) trade deal with the Toronto Star and the National Post. Congressional Democrats and labour unions have bickered with Mexico over labour rights and the agreement’s treatment of steel and aluminum, but a breakthrough has followed Mexico’s acceptance of several U.S. demands related to North American steel. Negotiations are ongoing, however, related to aluminum.
“At this stage of the game, all eyes are on where organized labour is on Mexico’s newest proposals,” Dan told the National Post. “If they agree, it’s likely House (of Representatives) Democrats will sign off on this.”
And they appear to have done so. On the morning of December 10, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s announced that her Democratic caucus had reached an agreement with President Donald Trump on the ratification of the USMCA. Her revelation, which came merely an hour after her formal unveiling of articles of impeachment against the president, is seen as a signal that the deal will likely be resolved by the Senate early next year. Those who may call this a win for the president should take a closer look, however, according to Dan.
“This will not be Trump’s deal. If she gets what she wants out of this, you know, out of these negotiations, it’s a Democrat deal,” he told the Toronto Star.
- February 2, 2021 Webinars CUSBA Presents 9th Annual Cross-Border Economic Forecast
- November 23, 2020 Industry Alerts Canadian Data Privacy Laws Are Changing. Is Your Business Ready to Keep Up?
- September 23, 2020 Industry Alerts DW China Trade Update (35th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十五期)
- September 2020 Blogs 米国移民局の予算危機と米国移民制度への潜在的影響 | The USCIS Budget Crisis and Its Potential Impact on the U.S. Immigration System
- August 19, 2020 Webinars Strategies for Easing Non-Essential Travel Restrictions at the Canada-US Border
- August 2020 Industry Alerts タイムリーにEADカードが発行がされないためI-9を完了できないことについての米国移民局(USCIS)の対応 | USCIS Accommodation on I-9 Completion Due to its Inability to Issue Timely EAD Cards
- July 9, 2020 Webinars Preparing for USMCA Day: Episode VI - Environmental Considerations and the Path Forward to a “Living” USMCA
- July 8, 2020 Webinars Vietnam and the Great Supply Chain Realignment
- July 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response: Update July 6, 2020*