Effective estate planning can eliminate uncertainties for individuals, families and nonprofit organizations. Combining a tradition of service with the use of cutting-edge technology, Dickinson Wright assists clients with tax and estate planning, estate and trust administration and business succession planning.
Our approach is holistic: we analyze the needs and goals of our clients and assist them in selecting legally enforceable methods to retain, administer and transfer both their wealth and values. Our technology and experience enable us to efficiently and economically assist clients with a variety of needs and circumstances.
Among the estate planning practice’s areas of expertise are:
- Wealth transfer planning, including a wide variety of trusts, wills, family business issues and disposition of property.
- Planning for business ownership, succession and transfer, including: choice of entity, buy-sell agreements, stock bonus and option agreements and tax-free distributions.
- Personal finance and family needs, including: Powers of Attorney, medical directives, prenuptial/postnuptial agreements, divorce, post-judgment and custody and asset protection planning.
- Estate and trust administration, including: post-mortem tax advice to fiduciaries and beneficiaries; and planning for tax-savings elections, credits and disclaimers.
- Tax compliance, including: federal estate and state death tax returns; individual, trust and estate income tax returns; tax returns for families, closely-held businesses and tax-exempt organizations; and government audits and investigations.