University of MichiganB.A., 1992
Temple UniversityJ.D., 1995
- cum laude
- Political and Civil Rights Law Review
- Clinical: Office of Philadelphia District Attorney
- Nat N. Wolfsohn Memorial Award for Excellence in Real Property
- Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2009 in Business Litigation
- Listed in Best Lawyers, Administrative/Regulatory Law, Commercial Litigation
- Continental Casualty Company (CNA)
- Eyde Company
- First Place Bank
- Gillespie Group
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Kaftan Enterprises, Inc.
- Michigan's Largest Health Care Company and Insurance Subsidiaries
Prevailed in six-week jury trial on behalf of the Michigan Insurance Commissioner in case asserting fraud and constructive fraud claims against the officers and directors of a defunct Michigan property and casualty insurer.
Successfully defended in three-week jury trial individuals and their start-up company in a "bet the business" case brought by the individuals' former employer for alleged violations of non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets.
Successfully represented ballot question committee in suit seeking writ of mandamus against the Secretary of State challenging the placement on the November ballot of a proposal to substantially amend the Michigan Constitution.
Prevailed for global retailer in three-week bench trial, with the plaintiff landlord's claims dismissed at the close of its proofs followed by the retailer's full recovery on its counterclaim plus an award of attorneys fees.
Represented Michigan’s largest health care company and insurance subsidiaries in two putative national class actions brought by physicians and other health care providers alleging a RICO conspiracy with regard to nonpayment of claims.
Secured summary judgment dismissing putative national class action brought against major insurer by policyholders asserting fraud and breach of contract.
Prevailed after two-week arbitration representing Michigan’s largest health care company and insurance subsidiaries in fraud/conversion claim against a third-party administrator and its principals.
Prevailed for local developer against municipality which sought in the eleventh hour to revoke prior approvals for construction of "big box" retail facility.
Represented numerous residential, commercial, and industrial developers in rezoning, site plan, special land use, variance, and infrastructure permit and approval matters.
Obtained injunctions on behalf of various securities firms preventing departed brokers from poaching clients in violation of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
Represented various Michigan and national lenders in breach of contract and mortgage foreclosure actions.
- American Inns of Court, Barrister (MSU Chapter)
- Ingham County Bar Association
- East Lansing Youth Baseball, Manager
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
- Local Initiative Support Corporation (Local Advisory Committee 2004-06)
- "Supreme Court Helps Insurance Companies Fight 'Blackmail' Settlements and Exorbitant Discovery Costs in Class Action Litigation" (2008), Defense Research Institute
- "New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: The 'Dos and Don'ts' of Electronic Discovery" (2007)
- Editor, Gaming Legal News (Bi-monthly newsletter)
- Contributing author, "Unfair Competition" (ch. 5) in Michigan Business Torts, Pappas, Quick and McNeill (ICLE 2003)
- Contributing author, "Unfair Competition" (ch. 5) in Michigan Business Torts, Pappas, Quick and McNeill (ICLE 2009)