Member and Practice Department Manager: Intellectual Property and Intellectual Property Litigation
Prior to beginning his legal career, Mr. Rettig worked in the automotive industry and held various product engineering and sales positions. He joined an intellectual property law firm in 1988, and concentrated his practice on obtaining and enforcing patents, trademarks and copyrights for clients in various fields, with a particular emphasis in the automotive industry.
After practicing for 11 years, he joined a Tier I automotive supplier as Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary. In addition to his legal duties there, Mr. Rettig was a member of the company's Executive Management Committee and was General Manager of European Operations. Mr. Rettig then moved back into a role within a law firm, and continues to focus his legal practice on obtaining and enforcing patents, trademarks and copyrights, as well as counseling clients in strategic portfolio management.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Mr. Rettig practiced law at Harness Dickey.
Mr. Rettig has extensive experience in all aspects of patent, trademark, trade secret and licensing matters in a broad range of technologies:
- Automotive drivetrain assemblies including transmissions, transfer cases, power take-off units, rear drive modules and axles
- Automotive suspension assemblies including coil/leaf springs, shocks, struts, independent suspensions and linkages
- Electric and hybrid vehicles including electric drive modules, thermal control systems, hybrid architectures and battery assemblies
- HVAC systems
- Seating systems
- Surgical and medical apparatuses
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association