Trial attorney with extensive litigation experience in federal and state courts throughout Michigan and Illinois in the following substantive areas of law:
- Commercial Litigation, with particular experience and expertise in the areas of contract disputes, business torts, misappropriation of trade secrets, and non-competition agreements.
- Insurance Defense Litigation, with particular experience and expertise representing insurers in defense of claims related to life, health, disability and ERISA benefit determinations.
- Automotive Litigation, with particular experience and expertise handling disputes between and among both original equipment manufacturers and their automotive suppliers, and the various Tiers of automotive suppliers, “just in time” suppliers, and emergency stop-ship situations.
- Financial Services Litigation, with particular experience and expertise representing financial institutions and loan servicers in disputes with borrowers and third-parties, and against consumer protection claims.
- Franchise and Distribution Litigation, with particular emphasis on the representation of franchisors in disputes with franchisees and third-parties.
Specific representative assignments include the following:
Obtained a verdict of no cause of action on behalf of multinational energy corporation following three-week trial on claims of breaches of commercial lease agreements, negligence and waste.
Obtained a verdict of no cause of action on behalf of a supplier of innovative technology in a bet-your-business trade secret action against its primary competitor.
Tried case to jury verdict resulting in judgments in excess of $1 million on behalf of plaintiff purchaser of a medical practice in Wayne County (Michigan) Circuit Court.
Defeated class certification and obtained dismissal on behalf of Michigan's largest health care company in national, multimillion dollar putative class action asserting violations of RICO and ERISA.
Represented Michigan's largest health care company in a series of parallel antitrust actions involving the U.S. Department of Justice, the Michigan Attorney General, a multinational insurance competitor, and class action plaintiffs.
Successfully obtained judgments and favorable settlements totaling in excess of $8 million on behalf of leading national savings bank in portfolio of recourse actions against mortgage brokers and loan originators asserting misrepresentations and breaches of contract.
Represented OEMs and Tier 1 automotive suppliers in supply agreement disputes against subordinate suppliers, including crisis stop-ship situations and claim and delivery actions to recover tooling and materials.
Represented Fortune 500 automotive supplier in successful prosecution of over a hundred adversary proceedings involving preferential and fraudulent transfers in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
Successfully defended CEO of public company against claimed violations of the Securities Exchange Act and related Federal regulations brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Favorably resolved numerous contract ERISA benefit claims on behalf of several prominent national insurance companies.
Defended private equity management firm in dispute with former business partners and their subsequent businesses. Successfully obtained dismissal of 12 count complaint alleging violations of the Lanham Act and various other commercial claims, which was affirmed on appeal by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Successfully defended publisher of a national magazine against claims of defamation and various other privacy and personal torts based on the publishing of an article in its magazine, by obtaining a dismissal of the complaint, with prejudice, and an opinion from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirming the dismissal.
Counseled and represented multiple doctors regarding business disputes, including the negotiation of physician contracts, the successful resolution of disputes involving non-competition agreements, and the successful resolution of a corporate divorce and dissolution of a medical practice.
Advised and represented publishers and both public and private figures regarding defamation claims, particularly claims involving statements published via the internet.
Citizens Bank, N.A.
Enbridge Energy, Limited Partnership
FCA US LLC
Flagstar Bank, FSB
Ford Motor Company
Michigan's Largest Health Care Company and Insurance Subsidiaries
Truman Capital Advisors
- Federal Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- OCBA Inns of Court - Barrister
- State Bar of Michigan, Character and Fitness Committee
- Board of Directors, University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law Alumni Association
- Leadership Detroit Class XXXVI
- Michigan State University Varsity “S” Club
- Michigan State University Football Players Association