University of ManchesterEngland, 1975
The College of WoosterB.A., 1976
- With Honors
Duke University School of LawJ.D., 1979
- Recognized as Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, 2017
- 2010 Client Choice Award, M&A United States, given by International Law Office, London, England
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business; Selected for inclusion as top ranked Corporate/M&A lawyer in Michigan
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers
- Martindale Hubbell AV peer review rated for ethical standards and legal ability
- Listed in DBusiness Top Lawyers
- A.J. Boggs & Company
- AutoForm Engineering USA, Inc.
- Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Yanfeng Global Automotive Interiors Systems Co., Ltd.
- Camryn Industries, LLC
- Callidus Capital Corporation
- DMS Moving Systems, Inc.
- IPAN Intellectual Property Associates Network LLC
- Sand Products Corporation
- Quantum Graphics, Inc.
- Gleaners Community Food Bank
- The Empowerment Plan
Counsel to buyers and sellers in mergers or acquisitions in the high tech, manufacturing, retail, food service, real estate, automotive, defense, and natural resource industries in transactions valued between $5 million and $150 million.
General counsel to small and medium-sized closely-held entities.
Counsel to domestic branches of Canadian and other foreign businesses (Japanese, Chinese, English, Swiss, Brazilian, Russian, Italian, South African, Taiwanese) in automotive and other industries.
Counsel to Johnson Controls, Inc. in organizing $400 million joint venture with subordinated lenders to acquire interior business of Plastech Engineered Products from bankruptcy, and administering company through lender buy-out.
Counsel to Tier 1 supplier in dissolving 20-year joint venture relationship with Japanese partner.
Counsel to Cypriot affiliate of Russian investment group in private equity investments in high tech companies.
Counsel to Tier 1 suppliers in stock and asset purchase and sale transactions.
Counsel to investment entity in purchase, financing, and ultimate sale of Great Lakes freighters.
Counsel to entrepreneurs and other closely-held entities in formation, succession planning, and business divorce situations.
Counsel to minority and majority investors in establishing minority business entities.
- Canada-U.S. Business Association, President and Member of Board of Directors
- State Bar of Michigan, Business Law Section; Council Member, 2002-2007; Section Chair, 2006-2007
- American Bar Association, Section on Business Law, Member of Model Shareholder Agreement Task Force
- U.S. Law Firm Group, Former Co-Chair, Corporate and Securities Committee
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), Member, Business Law Advisory Board
- Detroit Regional Chamber, Former Chair, Canadian Investment Committee
- Detroit Wine Organization, Chair (2008), Member of the Board of Directors
- Community Legal Resources, Member of Nonprofit Survival Task Force
- Gleaners Community Food Bank, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- The College of Wooster, Former member of the Alumni Board of Trustees
- Presenter, "Best Practices for Drafting Buy-Sell Agreements," Lorman Education Services (2015-2016)
- Presenter, "Business Contracts A to Z," National Business Institute (April 2013)
- Co-Author, "Inside the FTC-DOJ Annual Report", Competition, M&A and Public Policy Law360, published August 21, 2012.
- Co-Author, "Michigan Corporate Law Summary," Practical Law Company, Inc. (July 2012, update 2015)
- Presenter, "Corporate Law and Securities Law Compliance," Ethics and Compliance Officer Association (2012-2014)
- "Drafting Buy-Sell Provisions in Shareholder Agreements: Can We 'Insure' Compliance?" Volume 19, Business Law Today, American Bar Association, No. 5 (May/June 2010)
- Co-Author, “International Sales”, Newsletter of the International Bar Association Legal Practice Division, September 2009, Number 27
- “The Many Faces of Corporate Governance”, Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol 28, Issue 3 (Fall 2008)
- “Disney Directors Survive Attack on Magic Kingdom,” Business Law Today, American Bar Association, Volume 15, No. 3 (Jan./Feb. 2006)
- "Due Diligence Issues for Environmental Counsel: Acquisitions After Sarbanes-Oxley,” Volume 84, Michigan Bar Journal No. 11 (Nov. 2005)
- “Looking Under the Rocks: Due Diligence After Sarbanes-Oxley,” Business Law Today, American Bar Association, Volume 15, No 1 (Sept./Oct. 2005)
- Speaker at numerous national, ICLE, and State Bar Section seminars and webinars