Mr. Heusel resides in Dickinson Wright’s Michigan offices. He is an experienced commercial business attorney and serves as Director of the Firm’s China Practice Group. He has over 20 years of experience in representing multi-national companies in the manufacturing, retail and automotive industries. Mr. Heusel also has substantial experience in international transactions, employment matters, real estate, business matters and dispute resolution. He advises companies on a variety of business and commercial issues and serves as general counsel and trusted advisor to many of his clients.
As counselor, he advises his international clients on all matters related to doing business in the United States and China. His recent prominent assignments include representing many OEM and tier 1, 2 and 3 clients in forming business ventures in the United States and China, cultivating millions of dollars of foreign investment in the U.S., and managing all of his clients’ legal needs from business formation through early and later stage growth. Mr. Heusel works closely with his China Team and economic development partners to assist clients in a variety of ways to ameliorate their transition into the US marketplace, including corporate registration, immigration planning, site selection, commercial transactions, workplace issues, and a variety of other commercial matters that impact companies on a daily basis.
Mr. Heusel also has over 20 years of experience in representing clients in a multitude of litigation matters, particularly including contract disputes, supply chain litigation, employment matters, including discrimination, wrongful discharge and commission disputes, personal injury and real estate/land use litigation. He has secured millions of dollars on behalf of clients in arbitration awards and judgments taken to trial. Yet, he is most proud of those opportunities where he has used his experience to save clients from unnecessary expenses and distractions by avoiding litigation.
- Successfully represented clients before courts and arbitral bodies in Michigan, Ohio, New York, Illinois, California, Tennessee, Indiana, Kentucky, Canada, Shanghai, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, American Arbitration Association, NASD, FINRA, TTAB, and other dispute resolution center.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgments on behalf of Chinese manufacturer in international arbitration.
- Obtained million dollar judgment on behalf of international tier 1supplier.
- Over 20 years of experience successfully representing and defending manufacturers in a broad range of litigation involving contracts, purchase orders, intellectual property, trade secrets, defective products, tortuous acts, discrimination and wrongful termination cases, commission disputes, non-compete litigation, commercial transactions and embezzlement.
- Successfully defended significant personal injury cases on behalf of service businesses, including claims for wrongful death, serious physical and emotional injury, and property damage.
- Serves as General Counsel and advisor to numerous Chinese / U.S. companies doing business in North America and the Peoples Republic of China, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.
- Advises clients on a broad spectrum of issues impacting original equipment suppliers, tier 1, 2, and 3 suppliers.
- Advises clients on matters involving real estate acquisitions, state and local incentives, site selection, zoning and land use, regulatory issues affecting proposed properties, and environment issues.
- Advises clients on matters related to inbound U.S. investment into and the transaction of business between China and United States.
- Director of China Practice Group, leading the effort with our Team to assist Chinese companies in organizing operations in the U.S. and Canada.
- Led China Team in closing an asset acquisition of non-ferrous metal processing facilities in Ohio.
- Led China Team in closing stock acquisition of an electric motor technology company in California.
- Led China Team in closing stock acquisition of vehicle supplier in Illinois.
C & U Group, Ltd./C&U Americas
Tianhai Electric North America, Inc.
China Automotive Systems
China Auto Electronics Group
J.C. Penney's Company
G6 Hospitality /Accor
Kingfa Science and Technologies (USA)
BAIC Motor Technical Center, North America
Zhuzhou Cemented Carbide
WenXi Regal Magnesium/ Regal Metal
Camel Battery Group
Shengrui Transmission Co., Ltd.
- Director, China Practice Group, Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Michigan State Bar, member in good standing (1992), International Law Section
- Ohio State Bar, member in good standing (2012)
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, litigation section
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, previously a Fellow
- Admitted to practice in Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, Northern Districts of Illinois and Ohio, Southern District of New York, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Bar Association, member
- Detroit Chinese Business Association
- Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce
- US China Business Council
- North American Association of Chinese Engine Engineers
- Detroit Chinese Engineers Association
- Council of Asian Pacific Americans, Advisory Board
- North America Society of Chinese Automotive Engineers
- City of Ann Arbor Retirement Board, Trustee
- Washtenaw County Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, Board Member (2009-2015)
- Washtenaw County Circuit Court, Neutral Case Evaluator, Employment and Commercial Panels
- Humane Society of Huron Valley, former Chairman and volunteer
- Michigan Theater Foundation, Towsley Society Member
- Friends of the Michigan League, volunteer
- Thomas Cooley Law School, Adjunct Professor of Law
- Presenter, “How Chinese Auto Companies Enter and Land in North America,” China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, Beijing, China, April 2016
- Panelist, CCPIT/MEDC US-China Auto Forum, Beijing Automotive Exhibition, Beijing, China, April 2016
- Lecturer, Shandong Government delegation, The University of Michigan School of Public Health, Spring 2016
- Interviewed by Voice of America, aired in China on January 4, 2016 - Topic: The growing presence of Chinese automotive companies in Michigan
- Moderator, "The Opportunities and Challenges of a Multi-Cultural Workplace," Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce, September 2015
- Panelist, Investor Briefing: China's Evolution - A Changing Market. Detroit Regional Chamber, August 2015
- Presenter, "China Automotive: Doing Business in the U.S.," GlobalBusinessProfessor.com, June 2015
- Presenter, "Chinese Investment Opportunities in North America's Global Forum on Auto Tech Cooperation & Industry Fusion," Jiading, Shanghai, China, April 2015
- Presenter, Ninghai Investment Summit, Ninghai, Ningbo, China, April 2015
- Presenter, China Die & Mould Industry Association Delegation, Detroit, Michigan, March 2015
- Quoted, "Detroit's Plan: Export Cars, Import Chinese Investment," The Wall Street Journal, China Realtime, January 14, 2014
- Quoted, "Chinese Autos Not Ready For Prime Time, Absent From Cobo," The Detroit News, January 26, 2014
- Panelist, "Joint Ventures: Why Cross the Ocean?" Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce, April 2014
- Panelist, Sino-US Auto Summit, China Council for the Promotion of International Trade, Beijing, China, April 2014
- Panelist, Michigan Investment Forum, Beijing and Ningbo, China, April 2014
- Presenter, "Responding to Workplace Harassment," three part webinar hosted by Michigan Chamber of Commerce, April-June 2014
- Presenter, "Doing Business in North America," Gasgoo Global Auto Sources, Dalian and Ningbo, China, September 2013