Leighton R. Koehler is an "Of Counsel" Attorney at Dickinson Wright with a practice focused on tax, government investigations, and business services. His knowledge as both an attorney and CPA combined with his prior IRS experience allows him to provide solutions to a myriad of problems faced by his clients. In addition to solo representation, Leighton has worked with numerous teams of attorneys, CPAs, and other professional representatives, and obtained outstanding results for clients.
His experience prior to working as an attorney includes:
- Worked for the Internal Revenue Service as a Senior Revenue Agent in the Small Business and Self Employed Division, and also in the Large Business and International Division.
- Worked at Ernest & Young auditing casinos, and later worked in their tax division preparing and reviewing tax provisions and consolidated corporate and partnership federal income tax returns.
- Former U.S. Army Ranger and Paratrooper.
Southern Utah UniversityB.S., Accounting, 2003
Southern Utah UniversityM.S., Accounting, 2004
William S. Boyd School of LawJ.D., 2012
- cum laude
Multiple successful IRS Representations for Fortune 500 companies in Las Vegas.
Complex Offer-in-Compromise before IRS and DOJ of Nevada Contractor with over $5 million of employment tax liability and trust fund recovery penalties.
Tax Court representation resulting in $17 million tax and fraud penalty being released by the IRS.
Representation of celebrity and other high-profile clients in offshore voluntary disclosures and IRS collection matters.
As part of a team, representation before IRS and DOJ of California Corporation with over $30 million of tax assessments and judgments.
Consult and Advise local and regional CPA Firms in the representation of their clients.
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Admitted to Tax Court and US District Court. Nevada
- CPA. Nevada State Board of Accountancy
- Co-Author, “Marijuana Money Challenges Nevada Casinos’ Anti-Money Laundering Compliance,” Chambers and Partners’ Global Gaming & Licensing Guide, October 2017
- Las Vegas Valley Paralegal Association, Tax Law Presentation, March 16, 2016