University of MichiganB.G.S., 1990
University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., 1995
- AT&T Inc.
- Ford Motor Company
- Magna Powertrain, Inc.
- MGM Grand Detroit
- Target Stores
Employment Discrimination/Harassment/Retaliation/Whistleblower Claims:
- Represented Clients in single and multi-plaintiff actions alleging violations of federal and state civil rights laws, at both trial court and appellate level.
- Successful defense of public institution on 14th Amendment and 1981 claims involving rights of privacy (obtained Sixth Circuit opinion, on issue of first impression, affirming summary judgment).
- Successful defense of attempted class actions (each resulting in denial of class certification).
- MDCR and EEOC claim defense, including position statements, mediation and conciliation.
- Extensive experience regarding joint-employer obligations and liabilities.
Employment Counseling and Litigation Prevention on issues including:
- Document/personnel file retention and production issues
- Discipline and termination issues;
- ADA/ disability accommodation obligations;
- Email and internet policies and privacy rights;
- Pre-employment and employee drug testing;
- Enforceability of arbitration clauses in employment agreements; and
- Enforceability of contractually limited statute of limitations period.
Experience in conducting harassment/discrimination investigations.
- Represented numerous clients in prosecuting and defending defamation claims.
- Obtained numerous retractions of defamatory statements prior to commencement of litigation, including an internationally disseminated retraction from Reuters.
- Experience in prosecuting "John Doe" actions, where defamatory material is posted anonymously on internet chat room sites.
- American Bar Association (Section of Labor and Employment Law, Equal Opportunity Committee)
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- VIP Mentoring, Trustee (2003-present)
- Franklin Community Preschool, Board Member (1999-2000)
- University of Michigan Student Funded Fellowship, Board Member (1994-95)
- Employment Litigation in Michigan, Second Edition (ICLE), Chapter Author, "Discrimination Claims"
- Michigan Business Torts (ICLE), Contributing Chapter Author, "Defamation"
- Employment Litigation in Michigan, First Edition (ICLE), Chapter Author, "Title VII and Related ELCRA Claims"
- Inside the Minds -- Employment Discrimination Lawsuits, Chapter Author, "Effective Employer Strategies in Employment Discrimination Litigation", Aspatore Books, 2008
- Employment Discrimination Law, Fourth Edition (ABA), Contributing Chapter Author, "Unions"
- Labor and Employment Lawnotes, Volume 17.N.2 "The New Wave in Employment Litigation: Family Responsibilities Discrimination".