Joseph McKinney focuses his practice in the areas of civil and commercial litigation, labor and employment law, minority business enterprises, and business immigration. Mr. McKinney has successfully defended clients in a wide range of legal matters including race, gender, and pregnancy discriminations, wrongful termination, FLSA wage and hour, Section 1983 claims, Governmental Tort Liability Act claims, enforcement of non-compete agreements, nursing home abuse, insurance defense, premises liability, personal injury and other tort actions. Mr. McKinney has also counseled clients on various aspects of the employment relationship (including hiring, discipline, and the creation and enforcement of employment agreements, separation agreements), entity formation, minority business certification, and the employment of immigrant workers.
Experienced in defending governmental entities in Section 1983 claims, Governmental Tort Liability Act claims, and claims alleging retaliatory discharge/discharge in violation of state and federal laws.
Successfully obtained summary disposition of claims against Governmental Entities for violations of plaintiff’s Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments rights.
Successfully obtained summary disposition for national fast food chain restaurant in claims involving personal injury and violation of Tennessee employment law.
Successfully represented former CEO of a healthcare company in a wrongful termination and breach of contract claim, leading to a six figure settlement.
Obtained favorable settlement abuse claim against regional nursing home and assisted living facility.
Assisted in the representation of private employers in claims alleging discrimination based on race and gender.
Assisted in the representation of fortune 500 delivery company in numerous personal injury claims.
Experienced in assisting with the formation of LLCs and corporations and drafting and/or amending organizational documents.
Counseled organizations and individuals in certification as a minority-owned business enterprise, and structuring MBE joint ventures.
Alternative Service Concepts, LLC
Maury County, Tennessee
Bass Pro Outdoor World, LLC
Liberty Bell Agency, Inc.
FedEx Freight East, Inc.
Central Transport, Inc.
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Napier Looby Bar Association
- Napier Looby Bar Foundation Board of Directors, former President (2013-2015)
- Member, Inaugural Class, Nashville Bar Foundation Leadership Forum (2014-2015)
- Harry Phillips Chapter, Inns of Court (2012-2014)
- Young Leader's Council, Nashville 58th Class Graduate
- Tennessee Latin American Chamber of Commerce, Board Legal Counsel
- Member of the Founding Board of Directors, Intrepid College Preparatory Charter School
- Little League Football Coach, West Nashville Broncos
- Co-Author, Scrutiny of Ride-Hailing Apps Offers Legal Reminder to All Employers, Nashville Business Journal (July 14, 2015)
- Co-Author, Diversity – Driven RFPs Can Help Secure Your Preferred Outside Firm, Today’s General Counsel (June/July 2015)
- Author, Certifications Provide Opportunities to Minority Business Owners, The Tennessee Tribune (June/July 2015)
- Author, Minority Businesses Can Gain Leverage: Certification Provides OK by Third Party, The Tennessean (June, 25, 2015)
- Co-Author, Immigration Reform is Good for Business, The Tennessean (February 4, 2015)
- Dickinson Wright Summer Associate 2009 and 2010