University of FloridaB.S.
- With emphasis in Electrical Engineering
- With High Honors
University of FloridaJ.D.
- With Honors
- District of Columbia
- Panasonic Corporation (Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.)
- European Aeronautic Defense and Space Company N.V. (EADS)
- CILAS SAS
- Dassault Aviation
Evaluation of patents including product clearances, due diligence, patent infringement and validity studies and opinions.
Patent application preparation and prosecution for U.S. and foreign companies, including patent reissues, reexaminations and petitions to make special.
Counseling regarding filing of foreign patent applications.
Supervision of trainees of foreign companies resident in Dickinson Wright’s Washington, D.C. offices.
Experienced in range of technologies in the electrical, mechanical and telecommunications fields including:
- aircraft electrical and control systems
- vehicle navigation systems
- 3G, 4G and LTE wireless communications
- RFID devices
- power line communications
- authentication devices and credentials (including smart cards, tokens, certificates and passwords)
- optical recording and reproducing systems for DVDs, PCs etc.
- computer and computer related systems
- batteries (Lithium ion, Nickel metal hydride, Valve Regulated (Sealed) Lead-Acid)
- electric motors
- fuel cells
Appeals to CAFC.
Recipient of 2005 Silver Award from Panasonic Corporation for global patent procurement activities in the 3G mobile communications field.
Trademark inter partes matters.
Copyright counseling and procurement.
Patent litigation in federal district courts and ITC.
Expert witness/consultant in patent litigation.
Lecturer in U.S., Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
- Virginia State Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property
- Washington Patent Lawyers Club
- Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society
- Sigma Tau engineering honor society
- Chairman Emeritus, Board of Trustees, The Dominion School, Oakton, Virginia
- January, 2011, Alexandria, Virginia, 6th ANNUAL ADVANCED PATENT LAW
- INSTITUTE, lecture on “Patent Opinion Writing: An Update.”
- March, 2010, Osaka, Japan, lecture on “35 USC 101 Issues in U.S. Patent Prosecution.”
- May, 2009, Fukuoka, Japan, lecture on “Declarations Practice at USPTO under 37 CFR §§ 1.47, 1.131 and 1.132.”
- July, 2007 “Practical Aspects of Duty of Disclosure: Avoidance of Pitfalls.”
- July, 2003, “Reissue Recapture: Per Se Approach Negated By Expanded Panel of Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences In Ex Parte Eggert et al.”
- August 2003, “Claim Formats: Comparison of Structure Claims and Means-Plus Function Claims.”
- December, 2000, “Requirements of Declarations in U.S. Patent Prosecution.”
- March, 1998, “Practical Issues In Balancing Patent and Trade Secret Portfolios.”