James J. Stapleton is the Chief Business Development and Marketing Officer at Dickinson Wright PLLC. James directs strategic business development and marketing across all the Firm’s practices and geographies by leveraging his significant experience in practice and market development, customer relationship management, and sales training and management development.
A pioneer of professional services client service and sales with more than 25 years of experience in the field, James was the Chief Business Development and Marketing Officer for an Am Law 100 firm based in San Francisco and is a former Chief Marketing Officer of Silicon Valley-based AmLaw 100 law firm Fenwick & West. As a professional marketer, James has been a strong advocate for organized client service, including the use of mutual expectations agreements, client codes of conduct, independent client feedback, client teams and client panels. James is similarly a strong advocate of the use of Client Relationship Management processes and tools in professional services, and the use of digital media, particularly social media, in legal client development.
James received his Bachelor of Science in Commerce degree in Finance from Santa Clara University.
- “Peeling Back the Curtain: How to Save Legal Fees, Improve Efficiency and Optimize Your Relationship with Your Law Firm” LEAP Legal, ©2013
- “Metrics to Improve Your Business Development.” Master class taught through the Hildebrandt Institute, ©2013
- Advanced Business Development; Managing Partner Forum, 2012
- Integrating Marketing with Sales and Knowledge Management; LegalTech, 2011
- Panel Moderator, National Managing Partner Conference, 2008
- Keynote speaker, Managing Partner Magazine Conference, 2007
- PracticeTrak “High Powered Practice Development,” 2004
- California Society of Certified Public Accountants, Joint Firms CPE Conference, 2002
- Management of Accounting Practices Annual Conference, 2001
- Associated Accounting Firms International, National Conference, 1999
- National Association of Black Accountants Annual Conference, 1993
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, National Conference, 1991
- “12 Guidelines for Law Firm Marketing Investments,” Law360 ©2010
- “Efficiencies of Future Business Development,” Managing Partner Magazine, ©2006
- “An Executive Guide to Knowledge Management: the Last Competitive Advantage,” John Wiley & Sons, ©2002
- Professional Services Marketing Report; Author and Publisher, 1997-2000
- “Practice Development: A Comprehensive Guide to Building a Successful Small to Mid-Sized CPA Firm,” John Wiley & Sons, ©1998
- “The Marketing Advantage II” contributor, American Institute of CPAs © 1996