James C. Foresman focuses his practice on acting as outside general counsel for healthcare clients which includes providing regulatory, transactional and corporate services for hospitals, group practices and professional healthcare providers. His broad experience in the healthcare industry includes for example:
- Health system matters. Providing practical advice to health system operations, including compliance program effectiveness, compliance with Medicare and Conditions of Participation and hospital governance.
- Certificate of Need and Licensing. Advising and structuring client’s Certificate of Need projects from start to finish.
- Hospital compliance programs. Working closely with and advising hospital compliance professionals.
- Hospital-physician arrangements. Structure joint ownership of facilities and joint ventures, addressing anti-kickback, Stark, anti-markup, licensure, certification, and other issues.
- Stark and other physician self-referral laws. Structure professional practices and transactions to achieve client business objectives while complying with applicable legal restrictions on referral.
- Hospital-physician contracts. Providing counsel on application of tax, Stark and anti-kickback laws to physician services and recruitment contracts. Draft physician employment and services contracts, amendments and renewals thereof.
- American Bar Association since 1975, Health Law Forum; Administrative Law; Negligence Section
- State Bar of Michigan since 1975, Administrative Law Section; Health Law Section
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association since 1990
- American Society of Law and Medicine since 1983
- National Health Lawyers' Association since 1980
- Presenter, "Fraud and Abuse," American Healthcare Services Marketing, 1992
- Presenter, "Trustee Liability," Michigan Hospital Association, 1990
- Presenter, "Healthcare Mergers & Acquisitions," Little Company of Mary, 1989
- "Certificate of Need Litigation -- Huron Valley Hospital v State Health Facilities Community," 110 Mich App 236 (1981)