University of MichiganB.B.A, 1969
University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., 1973
- Robert P. Hudson Award, State Bar of Michigan
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2014
- 2018 Lawyer of the Year Litigation – Real Estate, 2017 Lawyer of the Year - Arbitration, 2015 Lawyer of the Year - Bet-the-Company Litigation, Lawyer of the Year - Real Estate Litigation, 2013 Lawyer of the Year - Mediation, and 2012 Lawyer of the Year -Arbitration, Detroit, Michigan - Best Lawyers in America
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial, Bet-The-Company and Real Estate Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Michigan Super Lawyers Top 10 in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 (No. 1), 2013, 2014, 2015 (Top 5), 2017
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly 2009 Top 25 Leaders in the Law
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star
- Crown Cork & Seal Company
- Enbridge Energy, Limited Partnership
- Ford Motor Company
- GKN Sinter Metal
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Jervis B. Webb Company
- Former Kmart Corporation
- Mahar Tool Supply, Inc.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Park West Galleries
Lead counsel with significant litigation, trial, appellate and arbitration experience in all types of business and commercial cases in federal and state courts.
Obtained an arbitration award of more than Three Million Dollars in a complex construction case after 32 days of hearing.
Obtained a no cause for action (zero damages) arbitration award in defense of a one hundred twenty million dollar Breach of Contract/Business Tort case.
Obtained summary judgment in a trade secret/non-compete case, which judgment was upheld in the Michigan Court of Appeals in the first reported Michigan decision on inevitable disclosure of trade secrets.
Obtained a favorable decision after trial in a complex trade secret/non-compete case.
Obtained a favorable jury verdict in federal court in a complex, commercial products liability lawsuit.
Obtained injunctive relief putting an end to a corporate raid of a competitor's key employees in a complex business tort case.
Obtained permanent injunctive relief after trial enjoining an unauthorized retailer from diverting products from an authorized distribution network, and recovered actual attorney fees.
Obtained a favorable decision from the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit overturning an unfavorable decision of the lower Federal court (handled by different counsel) in a major real estate dispute.
Obtained summary judgment in a Eighty Million Dollar lender liability lawsuit filed in Federal Court.
Obtained summary judgment dismissing a lawsuit for millions of dollars in damages for alleged breach of an agreement to sell an automotive manufacturing plant, which judgment was upheld in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Successfully defended a credit reporting company (jury verdict) in federal court against a claim that it violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Obtained summary judgment dismissing two separate lawsuits alleging minority shareholder oppression and fraud claims, which judgment was upheld in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Successfully mediated approximately 300 civil cases, most of which involve complex business and commercial issues.
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Member
- President, State Bar of Michigan, 2008-2009; Board of Commissioners 1999-2009 (Champion of Justice Award, 2011)
- President, Oakland County Bar Association, 1997-1998 (Board of Directors, 1990-1998; Distinguished Service Award, 1993; Professionalism Award, 2008)
- International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Michigan State Bar Foundation and Oakland Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Oakland Mediation Center, Board of Trustees, 1996-1996
- Oakland Livingston Legal Aid, Board of Trustees, 1982-1990 (President, 1985-1987)
- Oakland Community College, Board of Trustees, 1982-1990
- American Constitution Society, Board of Directors, 2007-2010
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Board of Directors, 2009-Present
- Enforcing Arbitration Awards in Michigan, co-author, Practical Law, August 2016
- The Defend Trade Secrets Act/Trade Secret Protection Act – Finally, Federal Protection for Trade Secrets, Bloomberg BNA’s Corporate Counsel Weekly, October 2014
- Michigan Business Torts (ICLE), co-author, First Edition 2001; Supplements 1993, 1995, 1997; Second Edition, 2003; Paperback Edition, 2009
Trade Secrets: Protection and Remedies(BNA), co-author, 2007 and 2009 Editions Michigan Law of Damages(ICLE), co-author of chapter on Damages Recoverable in Business Tort Cases, September 1989 Michigan Causes of Action Formbook(ICLE), co-editor and contributing author, September 1989
- Frequent speaker and writer on litigation, arbitration and mediation issues