Axel practices Corporate/Commercial Law with an emphasis on M&A, securities offerings, distress transactions, restructurings, venture capital finance and private equity. He delivers effective, pragmatic and integrated business and legal solutions to public and private companies, as well as start-up ventures and their principals in a wide sphere of industries both in Canada and internationally.
Axel has guided clients through all stages of M&A transactions, offerings and financings, from business intelligence and due diligence, deal and contract negotiation to regulatory compliance and quarterbacking transaction closings.
He counsels companies, investors and underwriters on securities law compliance, private placements and prospectus and public company disclosure requirements and has advised companies and executives on transactional risk (including representations and warranties insurance), corporate governance and directors and officers liability issues.
He has handled a wide range of business law issues and commercial matters for companies, including private equity groups. He also advises start-ups on optimal business vehicles and structures, launching the business, obtaining seed capital and government funding and expanding through the growth phase as well as managing business and legal risk.
Axel has contributed to the Firm's growth and footprint in Toronto: He is the former Chair of the Firm’s Continuing Professional Development Committee (Toronto) and a former member of the Firm’s Associates Committee (Toronto). He is a member of the Firm's Canada-US Platform Advisory Committee.
He is a member of the Dickinson Wright Pro Bono Honor Roll.
He is a member of the Corporate Section of the United States Law Firm Group, a national network of U.S. law firms.
Axel is a contributor/advisor to the LexisNexis Practice Advisor.
Axel is an Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School teaching Legal Drafting.
He is a member of the Adjunct Faculty of Tulane Law School and has taught the Introduction to the Practice of Transactional Law.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, he practiced Corporate/Commercial law with a leading Canadian Business Law Firm and was General Counsel with a Venture Capital/Private Equity and Hedge Fund Group.
Axel is fluent in Swedish, is involved in the Swedish business community in Canada and serves a number of Swedish corporate clients.
Axel has acted for clients in diverse business sectors and has broad expertise with Canadian and cross-border business transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, project development, securities offerings and venture capital and private equity investments. For example:
- Acted for publicly-traded specialty debt fund acquiring cross-border assets and companies out of Canadian and U.S. receiverships.
- Acted for Asian-based business conglomerate in its acquisition in Western Canada and Quebec – out of a court-appointed receivership - of over 120 quick serve restaurants within family of world’s largest restaurant operator.
- Counsel to Canadian collateral agent of leading global corporate and trust services company in multi-billion dollar international trust roll-over and restructuring.
- Counsel to public U.S. bank with respect to restructuring of cross-border loan facilities.
- Counsel to leading U.S.-based investment bank, acting as underwriter in cross-border private placement of TSX and NYSE Amex-listed company in mining industry.
- Counsel to global insurer on transactional risk (representations & warranties) insurance in $450 million M&A transaction.
- Acted for leading private equity company in $500 million+ private placement of exchangeable debentures in Canada.
- Acted for leading international software gaming provider in its successful bid, negotiation and contract to power online gaming site for Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation.
- Assisted technology start-up in obtaining government funding through the Ontario Emerging Technologies Fund and successfully closed private placement and subscription of client’s securities by the Government’s Ontario Capital Growth Corporation.
- Acted for Canada’s largest non-bank commercial mortgage lender in its acquisition of shopping mall interests in Ontario.
- Acted for European-based, publicly-traded construction giant in its share acquisition of leading Canadian construction corporation to create Canada’s largest TSX-listed construction and infrastructure company.
- Counsel to top global truck manufacturer in its multi-billion dollar share acquisition of world-leading truck competitor.
- Acted for global car brand in its multi-million dollar restructuring of U.S.-based subsidiary in bus manufacturing industry.
- Counsel to leading Canadian brewery in its multi-million dollar purchase of assets and license rights from major U.S.-based brewer.
- Acted for one of Canada’s largest cable system operators in major reorganization of its corporate group and its share acquisitions of independent cable operators in Ontario to consolidate market share.
- Represented U.S.-based client in acquisition of jet aircraft type and rights from world-leading aviation manufacturer.