We previously distributed two Client Alerts with respect to the new employer obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (“AODA”). See links below for our Client Alerts dated January 16, 2013 and October 15, 2015.
To summarize, the AODA mandates the following:
- Customer Service Standard
- Information and Communications Standard
- Employment Standard
- Transportation Standard
- Design of Public Spaces Standard
Note that a new requirement under of the AODA will come into effect:
December 31, 2017
By this date, all businesses/organizations having 20 or more employees must file an online AODA compliance report with the Government of Ontario confirming its continued compliance with the AODA.
Failure to comply with reporting (and other obligations) under the AODA could result in:
- a fine of up to $100,000 per day for a corporation/organization that is found guilty; and
- a fine of up to $50,000 per day for directors and officers of a corporation/organization that is found guilty.
Prior Client Alert links: AODA Reporting and New Ontario Accessibility Laws Take Effect January 1
This Client Alert is published by Dickinson Wright LLP to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of labour and employment law . The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We encourage you to consult a Dickinson Wright lawyer if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered in here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
W. Eric Kay is a partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto Office and can be reached at 416.777.4011 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew J. Skinner is a partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto Office and can be reached at 416.777.4033 or email@example.com
If you would like a printable version of client alert, click here.
- March 16, 2018 Seminars Sunrise Seminar - #You Too Can Do More to Address and Prevent Sexual Harassment in the Workplace on March 16, 2018
- March 2018 Industry Alerts Michigan Court of Appeals Offers Guidance to Employers in Documenting Reasons for Hiring, Promotions
- February 28, 2018 Industry Alerts One Minute You’re In, the Next, You’re Out: NLRB Vacates the Short-Lived Hy-Brand Decision and Reinstates the Browning-Ferris’ Joint Employer Standard
- February 23, 2018 Media Mentions Attorney Sara Jodka Quoted in Financial Post Article on Artificial Intelligence in the Workplace
- February 13, 2018 In the News Attorney Timothy Howlett Receives the 2018 Distinguished Service Award
- January 23, 2018 Webinars Out with the Old and In with the New: 2018 Annual Employment Law Update Webinar on January 23, 2018
- January 2018 Industry Alerts Keep Rollin’ Rollin’ Rollin’: DOL Reissues 17 Opinion Letters That Had Been Withdrawn Under the Obama Administration
- December 2017 Industry Alerts The Way We Were: The NLRB’s Time Machine Resets the Clock on Employer Work Rules and Joint Employer Status
- December 2017 Industry Alerts The Year End/Holiday Celebration in the Era of Reckoning